Wild Animals/Burrowing animal

Question
Dear Jonathan,
I just wanted to ask a question about a trail of mounded dirt I found in my yard. It seemed to appear overnight and originated at a tree whole where a fruit tree was located but fell over. I have had three apple trees die on me over the last few years and the last one I noticed a few days after removing the tree that there was a dirt trail leading from this tree hole through my yard to another tree and then leading into a wood pile. I do have chickens too and wondered what kind of animal could this be? Do moles eat tree roots? And finally are my chickens endangered by this mystery digger? I do not want to kill what ever it is but wondered is there a humane way to discourage it from causing more damage to my other trees if you think that could be a possibility. Thanks for any help you can provide I really appreciate it. I live in Iowa in the United States, south eastern Iowa not to far from the Missouri boarder. Thank you so much and God bless.

Answer
Dear Kim

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

Douglas A. Spilker (http://statebystategardening.com/state.php/ia/articles/10_most_unwanted_pests_an) has written about common garden pests in Iowa. He says that moles make ridges or mounds of heaved-up soil that uproot garden plants and disrupt grass roots. This seems to correspond with your description of the trail of mounded dirt. Moles prefer to eat earthworms, grubs and ground beetles, so they will not eat tree roots or chickens. Kurt A. Johnson gives additional information (http://www.theiowagardener.com/moles_ISU_Ext_managing.html) and enables you to tell the difference between mounds produced by moles and pocket gophers. Mole hills appear volcano-like. Moles push dirt vertically from the burrow exit to form a symmetrical cone with no visible sign of an exit point. There is an exit point in the centre of the cone at ground level. Dirt excavated from a pocket gopher’s tunnel system is pushed from the burrow exit and deposited in a fanlike mound around the burrow exit, with the exit at the focus of the fan. The pocket gopher burrow exit is a visible plug of dirt.

http://www.garden.org/pestlibrary/animals.php?q=show&id=1801 says that gophers have strong digging claws and sharp teeth can cause a lot of damage to lawns and gardens. They feed on above- and below-ground portions of many plants, including roots and bulbs. They may gnaw bark from young trees in winter and chew plastic water lines when water is scarce. Their tunneling leaves mounds of soil pushed to one side and plugged shut; mole mounds are round and open. Their burrowing is deeper and not as obvious as mole tunnels.

If the mounds were not produced by moles or pocket gophers, please measure the mounds and tunnels and let me know what they are. I'll try and find an alternative animal for you.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright