Wild Animals/Evolution of cats

Question
QUESTION: Will cats evolve in the future like under 10yrs?
What will they be like bigger or smaller. I hope bigger they can't defend theirselves like dogs can.
What do you think they will look and will they have new ability possible stamina that way they can chase their prey if the prey can run longer then cat can do also good for running way from predtors.

ANSWER: Dear Gianfraco

If you mean domestic cats, then anything is possible.  Because they are domestic, they are bred by humans, and that means they are subject to our artificial selection.  Under those pressures, a species can change quite dramatically in a relatively short time, since breeders select traits they wish to promote in a breed.

It is not likely cats will evolve into something unrecognizable as a cat.  A breeder might choose to breed bigger cats, cats of a particular color or shape, but they will still be cats.

To fully understand this, I think the best approach is to start with understanding how evolution works.  That would take much more than I could provide in a single email.  But an excellent, fun tutorial can be found here:

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/0_0_0/evo_01

Just follow the arrows, and you will be an expert in evolutionary mechanisms in no time!  :)

Hope this helps.

Dana

QUESTION: I'm asking what will domestic cats be in the future?
Will they evolved to get stamina or become bigger?
This what I'm asking

Answer
Dear Gianfraco

And I answered you.  I said that whether domestic cats evolve will be up to the breeders that select the traits that are passed on.  Cats are really not under natural selection pressure, unless they are feral.  Do those count as domestic?  Sort of.  But if you are asking about *domestic* cats bred by humans, then whether they evolve particular traits will depend upon whether individuals with certain traits are allowed to breed and pass on those traits.

Please read the tutorial I sent you, as it will help you understand the process of evolution.  It is essential that you understand *that* before you can really understand my answer.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.