Wild Animals/coyote?

Question
wild animal
wild animal  
I am having a facebook discussion with several people (none of us experts) regarding this picture I took in Western Massachusetts this week. Is it a coyote? and also do you think Coydogs exist or are they no longer a relevant species?

thanks for your time!

Answer
Hi Kim,

The animal you photographed is clearly a canid, but it does not appear to be a red fox, eastern wolf, or gray fox, therefore lending credence to your suggestion that the animal is a coyote. In New England, there is some interbreeding between wolves and coyotes, but such occurrences are rare and the animal is probably pure coyote.

Best wishes,

Fady

Wild Animals

Fady D. Isho