Wild Animals/Lions and Domestic Cats

Question
Is there any basis in the myth that people allergic to cats are also allergic to big cats like lions and tigers, or are the larger big cats different than their domestic relatives?

Answer
Dear William

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

I don't think there is a definite answer and many of the websites rely on anecdotes, rather than on scientific evidence. My sister was allergic to our pet cat, but didn't seem to show any allergies to lions or other wild cats at London Zoo. As far as I know, she wasn't allergic to my mother's pet cats years later. People may not suffer from every cat they cme into contct with.

Justin (http://theweeklypaperblog.com/2013/02/13/lions-and-tigers-and-bears-oh-my-allerg)goes into great detail about how people develop allergies. He says that house cats are only distantly related to big cats. Justin refers to an article from the July 1990 issue of The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. The researchers investigated if the main house cat protein known to cause allergies in humans (Fel d I) is found in big cats as well by examining Fel d I-specific IgE response (as well as the more general IgG response) to big cat dander. They found the IgE reacted with the proteins found in the big cat dander, but the amount of reaction was nowhere near that of Fel d I itself. The tiger dander was found closely in line with the other big cats. It seems that tigers and other big cats can prompt an IgE response in house cat-allergic people, but not with the same vigour.

http://www.liger.org/if-i-am-allergic-to-cats-would-i-be-allergic-to-wild-cats-s says that allergies to cats are allergies to a combination of the cats saliva and dead skin or dander. When a cat grooms itself, it deposits a thin layer of this mixture which drys and becomes airborne. Wild cats kept in captivity would also have this dander/saliva combination, but this differs from that of a house cat. Somebody who is allergic to house cats may not be allergic to lions and other big cats. Also, most people spend less time near big cats than they do near domestic cats, so are less likely to suffer from the accumulation of saliva and dead skin.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright