Wild Animals/Wolves

Question
How much area is required for a wolf in a zoo
enclosure?  Typically how many wolves are
housed together?

Answer
Dear Marisa

Thank you for your questions. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

I'm sorry for the delay. There are no definite answer to this. According to where the zoo is, there is no minimum size to an enclosure, nor is there a definite number of wolves that are housed together. Wolves can have large litters and some zoos will remove young wolves and send them to other zoos, while others may react differently. I have looked at various articles and have tried to show how enclosure size affects wolves.

On Thursday, I visited an exhibition on animals in Islington (http://www.islington.gov.uk/islington/history-heritage/heritage_whatson/wo_exhib), which included a picture of a menagerie, where the enclosures were very small. I doubt if the width of the rhinoceros enclosure was greater than the length of a rhinoceros, so the animals would have found it difficult to move about. A poster showed that one of the beast shows also had wolves and I doubt if these animals had much space.

http://www.captiveanimals.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Enclosure-size.pdf gives an account of how zoo enclosures compare to the space required for animals in the wild. As zoo wolves do not need to hunt live prey, they do not need as much space as they would in the wild, but keeping them in small, barred enclosures, with barely enough space to move around is cruel.

While many zoos don't keep their animals in such cramped conditions, some do. Ideally, wolves will be kept in a group, including an alpha male and female, with enough space to run around.
A. Sherratt-Ayerst (https://ukwct.org.uk/files/dissertations/sherratt.pdf) has written a useful account about captive wolves. There was more alert resting behaviour higher density enclosures and more wandering or exploratory behaviour in enclosures with a more varied layout. It seems that wolf packs will not function normally in a small enclosure, as lower ranked wolves cannot escape the aggression of other pack members, leading to increased stress. Other research says that enclosure size had little effect on the amount of time spent resting
compared to that spent in activity by the wolves; pack structure showed a stronger effect on behaviour than did enclosure size.

Annie B. White (http://www.graywolfconservation.com/Wolf_Dogs/07_Recommendations.htm) gives dimensions for wolf enclosures and I hope this is the information you are looking for. Please note that wolf enclosures can vary dramatically in size in different zoos

Rob Laidlaw (http://www.zoocheck.com/Reportpdfs/Wolfreport.pdf) wrote about accommodation for wolves in Ontario. He talks about the effects of the Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act (FWCA) on how wildlife is kept, including their accommodation. Overall,wolves had been kept in substandard accommodation, with little attention to the spatial and physical requirements of wolves. Many wolves had lived out their lives in tiny, barren enclosures, pacing endlessly back and forth. Enclosures that are designed and constructed with little or no consideration of the biological and behavioural needs of the animals, rarely, if ever, provide an appropriate quality of life. It is important to provide of complex, variable environments that stimulate physical and mental activity within an appropriate social context. Captive wolves need to seek shelter and nest sites, defend territories and explore new spaces. If they do not engage in "natural" behaviors, this may be severely detrimental to their well-being.

The above article is very detailed and gives information about how enclosures affect the behaviour of captive wolves.

There are several other articles that may help you. I keyed the following words into Google: size of wolf enclosure zoo.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright