Wild Animals/Wombats in captivity

Question
Hi! I am doing an assignment about Northern Hairy-Nosed Wombats and I need to know what are the economic implications of acquiring, maintaining and displaying this species at a zoo, but I am not able to fund information about it. It is not necessary to have a value, just an idea of whether this species will be expensive to maintain and why, and whether the costs can be offset against new publicity and hence increased visitation. May you help me with that? Thank you!!

Answer
Dear Bruna

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

I have seen southern hairy-nosed wombats in a few zoos and I doubt if the northern species would be more difficult to maintain and display.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_hairy-nosed_wombat says that it is restricted to a 300 hectares in the 32-km2 Epping Forest National Park in Queensland. The 2010 census estimated a population of 163 individuals, which seems to be growing slowly but steadily.

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/accounts/Lasiorhinus_krefftii/#conservatio says that Ep­ping For­est pop­u­la­tions have only 41% of the vari­abil­ity of the ex­tinct pop­u­la­tion from Deniliquin, New South Wales. This suggests that the northern hairy-nosed wombat is a a bot­tle­necked species in steady de­cline and that there would be problems breeding the species to attain a viable genetic diversity.

Christopher Johnson (http://theconversation.com/australian-endangered-species-northern-hairy-nosed-wo) says that the northern hairy-nosed wombat was thought to be extinct early in the 20th century, but in the 1930s, a small population was discovered in what is now Epping Forest National Park in central Queensland. The wombat lives in a dry tropical environment, where most rain falls in an unreliable summer wet season. Several good wet seasons in succession may be needed for females to breed and for their young to survive to weaning. Wombats were transferred from Epping Forest to the RRichard Underwood Nature Refuge in 2009.  Conservationists are looking for a place to establish a third and larger population.

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/11343/0 says there are no Northern Hairy-nosed Wombats in captivity. Conservation plans include developing  captive techniques on southern Hairy-nosed Wombats are being used to improve wombat captive breeding and reproductive monitoring techniques.

It seems that conservationists are still trying to find out how to maximise northern hairy-nosed wombat populations in the wild before they set up captive populations. Taking wombats from the wild could be detrimental to small populations. When I visited Madagascar, I saw a large enclosure that had been created in a reserve. It had housed indris to prepare them for life in a zoo. The indris died, even though the habitat was the same as in the wild. Similarly, many Sumatran rhinoceroses were captured for zoos, but many of these did not reach the zoos or died relatively soon afterwards. I think this is the reason that conservationists are being cautious with the wombat. You may be interested to know that there are also plans to clone the species (see http://www.wildlifewatchers.org/esReports/report16.html and http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=99180), which could be useful to establish captive collections.

Please note, the Zoological Society of London Library has at least one book about maintaining marsupials in captivity. I'll try and get some relevant information from the book next Tuesday.

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright