Wild Animals/animal feces

All over my driveway and car were animal/bird droppings that looked like brown fudge and was in thin string shapes the diameter of thick spaghetti, 1 inch long up to 3 inches long. It felt like clay or plado. Any identity as to what it came from? There is a huge Pine tree hanging over the driveway so something could of been nested up in it all night long.

Dear Laurie

Thank for for your question. I have looked at several websites and I suspect that the droppings were produced by an animal with intestinal roundworms, hence the thin strings.

http://www.pawpads.org/page26unleashedpoop.html gives examples of different types of faeces found in dogs. http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/Worms.html gives information about chickens. http://www.cat-world.com.au/internal-parasites-in-cats gives information about cats.

As I think the shape and texture of the faeces are due to an illness, I can't identify the species. It may be worth taking a sample of the faeces to a vet or animal hospital for analysis.

I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

All the best

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.