Wild Animals/ground rodents

Question
I live in Scottsdale, AZ where the lawns are irrigated and always green.  Some of the lawns have rodent holes/mounds.  I don't know if these are mole, rat or gopher holes.  Is my dog at risk of catching some disease if she sniffs the hole?  If so, what type of disease might she be exposed to from these rodents?  Thanks, Julie

Answer
Dear Julie

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://www.2ndchance.info/leptospirosis.htm says that dogs can catch leptospirosis from rats and other wildlife, most often in states with heavy rainfall. The carrier animals tend to void leptospirosis organisms into their urine and dogs can become infected by sniffing this urine. Unless the holes or mounds have a large concentration of infected urine, it is unlikely that your dog will become infected by sniffing them. The leptospira can occur in standing water and pets can develop the disease by wading or swimming in the water or by drinking it. Leptospira can also enter if an infected animal bites the dog or if the dog eats infected materials.

KingCounty (http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/ehs/zoonotics/PocketPets.aspx) says wild rodents can carry many diseases including hantavirus, leptospirosis, lymphocytic choriomeningitis (LCMV), Tularemia and Salmonella. Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) is a severe illness caused from exposure to the droppings or urine of deer mice that carry the virus. Plague is caused by bacteria and is usually caused by the bite of a flea that has fed on an infected wild animal, such as a rat, chipmunk or prairie dog. Dogs can become infected and spread the disease to humans. Tularemia is a bacterial disease most commonly found in wild rodents and some other wild animals. People and their pets can become ill from tularemia by coming into contact with infected dead or ill animals through animal bites and exposure to contaminated blood or raw meat. Rat bite fever is a bacterial disease. The bacteria are carried by rats in their mouth and nose. People and dogs can get infected through bites or scratches by rats. Monkeypox is a disease caused by a virus that can occur in rats, mice and prairie dogs. People get monkeypox from an animal with the virus if they are bitten or if they touch the animal's body fluid or blood.

http://www.azdhs.gov/phs/oids/vector/plague/ says there have been cases of plague in Arizona.

I don't think there is much of a risk of your dog sniffing at rodent holes or mounds, but if a wild animal bites your dog, you should take your dog to a vet. Please note that the sense of smell is very important to a dog and your dog is probably more at risk of catching a disease by sniffing other dogs, but dogs seem to do this very regularly and I don't think there are many cases of dogs catching diseases from this.

I hope this helps.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright