Wild Animals/Crow behaviour

Question
Hello: I am writing to ask why crows picking at roadkill don't attempt to move the carcass off the roadway,so as to enjoy their meal in peace.The ones I see while driving will hop on the curb until I drive by,and then resume eating.I have never seen a crow attempt to move the remains off the road.I find this strange as crows,being highly intelligent, have been observed dropping nuts on the road so cars will drive over them and crack them,and then will wait for traffic signals to stop the vehicles,enabling them to retrieve the nutmeat in safety. Thanks

Answer
Dear Michael,

That's a very good question, and one we can't possibly hope to answer unless we could get inside their little crow heads.

I would not be surprised if crows sometimes move *small* roadkill off the road.  But perhaps a very large roadkill is just not worth the trouble to them.  As you say, they are very intelligent, and they know when a car is coming.  It's a rare thing to see a roadkill crow.  So it might just be that the cars are something they don't mind dealing with, and that eating in peace isn't high on their priority list.  :)

Not sure that's a good answer, but there it is.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.