Wild Animals/Swollen Opossum Tail

Question
Opossum tail
Opossum tail  
Years ago, some one asked you this question...
"I have a Opossum that I raised from birth, he lives inside my house.  She is 1 year old now and I recently noticed that the proximal end of her tail is swollen to the size of a tangerine and the skin surrounding it is reddened.  Is this something that needs attention?"
... I'm experiencing the same exact thing with my 18 month old Virginia opossum. I'm desperate for help.

Answer
Dear Melissa,

How odd.  I wonder if this is some disorder that opossums tend to get!

I am no expert in wild animal veterinary medicine, so the best I can suggest is to get your pal to a good veterinarian who advertises expertise in "exotics". (Okay, an opossum is technically not an exotic.  But that's what they call anything that's not a dog or cat, in veterinary lingo.)

It could be an injury or infection, but it does appear to be something that you don't want to leave untreated.

Sorry I can't be more help!

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.