Wild Animals/white tail deer

Question
A young buck had a broken hind leg and took to hiding in the corner of the building I work in under a large glass window.  Saw it on a Monday and it could have came over the weekend.  Called animal control and they played around and did nothing.  Said it may leave and how the leg will heal and bla bla bla.  Now in this area there are coyotes and know this because I have seen them.  The next day was Tuesday and animal control was on their way only they never showed up.  This animal had no eaten or access to water so I called city hall and demanded they do something before I called Peta..had that animal gotten spooked it may have come through the window and ended up in the office.  They finally came out and shot the deer only I feel terrible just terrible tell me I did the right thing.

Answer
Dear Sandra

I am so sorry about this tragic outcome.  You were trying to help, and the uncaring government officials saw only a nuisance.

You did nothing wrong.  But if you ever do have the chance to help injured wildlife in the future, the LAST agency to call is Animal Control.  Instead, call a local licensed wildlife rehabilitator.  Wildlife rehabbers are in the "business" because they care about wildlife, and they will make a judgment about whether or not an animal can be saved, or whether humane euthanasia is the best option.

You can find a local wildlife rehabilitator with this search engine:

http://wildliferehabber.org/

or

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/find-a-wildlife-rehabilitato

or any number of locators you can find with a Google search.  You can also enter keywords "deer" "rescue" and your locality to find rescuers who specifically care for the type of animal in trouble.

I am sorry this comes too late to help the little buck with the broken leg.  But if you can share this information with other compassionate individuals, future tragedies could be prevented, and turned into triumphs.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.