Wild Animals/Wildcat

Question
I saw a cat that was taller and thinner than a bobcat. It had spots and a tiny head. It was in Oxford ct. I've seen Bobcats here and this was not a bobcat. I wonder if it's some kind of other wildcat

Answer
Dear Mike

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mammals_of_Connecticut#Cats_.28Order_Carniv says that the only species of wild cat definitely living in Connecticut is the bobcat, although the puma is a remote possibility and the Canadian lynx may have lived in the state. Puma cubs have spotted coats, but are shorter than bobcats and don't have particularly small heads. Cheetahs and servals have small heads and are taller and thinner than bobcats, but unless the cat you saw had escaped from captivity, it is very unlikely to have been a cheetah or serval.

I think you probably saw a feral or domestic cat. Some cats have small heads compared to their bodies (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyKodHZbFyI). Some people suggest that different body parts grow at different rates and that a kitten with a small head may grow up to be an adult with a normal-sized head. Please note that there are quite a few spoof websites concerning cats with tiny heads.

I'm sorry I couldn't help more.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright