Wild Animals/Do penguins?

Question
Hi Dyan, hope you are doing alright. Do penguins have any feelings and emotions? What kind of emotions do they have, behave out and feel? I heard on a Mr. Popper's Penguins movie interview that this animal scientist who worked with the penguins for the movie said they don't show many emotions and in a way the penguins behaved much like domestic chickens. Penguins don't have or show much emotions. Fear is the only emotion they have. He had said. Is this all true? Is he right? I know penguins don't show or have as much emotions as humans do and theirs is far far more simple emotions. So what are your answers on this topic of penguin emotions?
Thanks

Answer
Hi Jocelyn,

I hope you are well. My apologies for the delay in responding to your question - for some reason, it did not come through to my e-mail. (I just got an alert from AllExperts saying there was a message pending that hadn't gone through.)

At any rate, I believe all animals have emotional lives - their emotions may not be as complex as ours, and they don't think in the same way that we do, but I would argue that penguins (and other animals), have many more emotions than just fear. I've witnessed behaviors in penguins (and other animals) that would also indicate emotions such as anger, jealousy, nervousness, affection, and more.

I often compare penguins to cats - they appear to have similar temperaments and similar levels of intelligence. With both cats and tamed penguins (which know their names), if you call them and they feel like coming over to you, they will. And if they don't feel like coming over, they will snub you and walk or swim away. (And, as an aside, penguins - like cats - are capable of being trained. Although, having trained both using operant conditioning - which is based on positive reinforcement - I think cats can be trained to do tasks that are more complex than penguins are capable of.)

I hope this helps answer your questions!

Take care,
Dyan

Wild Animals

Dyan deNapoli