Wild Animals/robins

Question
baby robins
baby robins  

empty nest
empty nest  
Yesterday we had a robin nest in a tree with four baby birds.  Both parents fed the birds.  This morning the nest is completely empty.  There is nothing in the nest or on the ground.  Do robins ever move their young to another nest if they feel threatened?  I feel badly because we did put up a ladder to peek in the nest and take a picture.  We have seen no cats around or any other animal but that doesn't mean they aren't there at night.  It is just such a mystery and I don't want to be the reason they are gone.

Answer
Dear Retha

Thank you for your question and for your concern about the baby robins. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

Roger Lederer (http://en.allexperts.com/q/Birding-1435/2010/5/Baby-robins-missing-nest.htm) says that baby robins jump out of the nest before they can fly, as it is too crowded in the nest. The parents take care of the babies on the ground until they can fly.

The chicks in your photo seem too young to be ready to leave the nest, so, unfortunately, I think they have been the victim of a predator. These include rats, squirrels, jays, raccoons, opossums, cats and others listed in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_robin#Threats and http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/robins.html.

Hopefully, the parents have made a nest elsewhere and will have more luck next time.

All the best

Jonathan

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright