Wild Animals/Robin's nest on front door ..

Question
A robin has made a nest on my front door wreath...there are two babies in it...they are just fleshy and move slightly....can we use the door while the nest is there???I must have been using it since I only noticed the nest yesterday (Mothers Day) and the babies were already there....my husband wants to lock door and ask visitors to use back door...is this necessary??? I have walked in and out and the birds are still coming back to the door.  How long before the babies can fly away???

Thanks for your quick reply....

Answer
Hi Dorothy,

I'm afraid this is outside my area of expertise, as I am specifically an expert in penguin biology and behavior. I would repost your question to an expert who has experience with other birds. That being said, I would imagine if the parents built their nest on a door that you use regularly, then they are already used to your comings and goings. My only concern would be that a baby might fall out of the nest when you open the door. I'm sure a different expert will be able to answer this question for you.

Good luck!
Dyan

Wild Animals

Dyan deNapoli