Wild Animals/Unwanted Robin's Nest

Question
Hello! This spring a pair of robins built their nest in a crab-apple tree in my front yard. We had planned to remove the tree but now we don't know what to do. There are a few babies in the nest now and I don't want to disturb the family of robins. Is there any time that the birds will abandon the nest and make it safe to remove the tree? I assume the babies will eventually move on, but will the parents stay or build a new nest elsewhere? I really don't want to cause harm to the birds but the tree needs to go! Thank you!

Answer
Dear Kelly

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_robin#Breeding says that the babies leave the nest about 2 weeks after hatching. The chicks leave the nest within two days of each other and are able to fly about two weeks after fledging. http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/robin/FAQNestsEggs.html says that if the robins have invested a lot of time and energy in the nest, they are less likely to leave the tree they nest in. This means that if the chicks survive, the parents are likely to use the same tree for a new brood. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Robin/lifehistory says that robins can have 3 broods a year and http://www.biokids.umich.edu/critters/Turdus_migratorius/ says the breeding season lasts from April-July. This indicates that if the robins breed successfully, you shouldn't remove the tree before August.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright