Wild Animals/Imprinting?

Question
QUESTION: How to make baby animal imprint on me?

Let's say I find baby animal like deer, pup, kitten, or any animal what do I have to do think I'm its mother/father

I m just wondering

ANSWER: Dear Gianfranco

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.

An animal that may think that you are its mother or father is using a response called imprinting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_%28psychology%29 and http://www.britannica.com/topic/imprinting-learning-behaviour).

http://www.britannica.com/topic/imprinting-learning-behaviour says imprinting is a form of learning where a very young animal fixes its attention on the first object it sees, hears or touches. This object is usually one of the parents and the imprinting instinct enables the baby to associate with the correct species, rather than an inappropriate species. If the baby comes in contact with another moving object, rather than a parent, it may consider itself to be an example of that object. Most imprinting studies concern birds, but some involve fish and insects.

One of the earliest scientists to work on imprinting was Konrad Lorenz. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_%28psychology%29 says Lorenz showed how incubator-hatched geese imprinted on the first suitable moving stimulus they saw within a "critical period" 1316 hours shortly after hatching. The goslings imprinted on Lorenz's wading boots and often followed Lorenz. Some goslings followed a box on a model train. Other birds have been imprinted on handlers and aircraft. Angelo d'Arrigo hatched captive birds, which imprinted on him and followed him on the ground and in the air as he took various migratory routes.

If a baby animal is taken away from its parents and sees you before it sees its mother or father, it may imprint itself on you, so that it considers you are its mother/father and become dependent on you for food, shelter, safety and companionship. It may later not accept other members of its family as being relatives and may not behave in a way that would benefit its natural development.

Please do not try to imprint any young animals on yourself. Not only is it cruel to the animal, but it is also cruel to the mother and perhaps the father, which could help look after the young animal and help it  develop as one of its own species, rather than as a 'pretend human'.

All the best

Jonathan

QUESTION: So what will happen if I find baby kitten with no mother will it imprint on me?

Answer
Hello Gianfranco

Please do not try to imprint a baby kitten. It is best for a kitten to realise it is a cat and not a human, so you should find the owner of the cat, if it is a domestic cat, or contact a locl wildlife organisation for advice.
T.J. Barnes at Pets Adviser (http://www.petsadviser.com/behaviors/why-does-my-kitten-follow-me-around/) and Dr Nicholas Dodman at Pet Place (http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/behavior-training/normal-behavior/bonding-i) mention the important role that bonding has for kittens. They also mention the role you will have if you take over a kitten. Have you got the time to do this? Do you have a cat that could be a surrogate mother? Please note it would be far better for the kitten if it is with its own mother.

I wonder if it may be better for you to adopt a cat from a cat shelter. My mother had a few cats over the years and cared for them and it would be better for you and the cat if you have a cat that knows it is a cat, rather than one that is unsure if it is a cat or a human.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright