Wild Animals/mysterious white-tipped droppings

Mr. Wright,

My question might will add to a mystery of a white-tipped droppings this "guest" leaves in my the media closet of my new house. The media closet locates in my living room. About size of a standard fireplace, no vents, no windows, only one door.I suspect a hidden 1-1 1/2 cm gap between the drywall and the concrete slab. The "gust" is way too bold: it leaves rode-shaped, 1-1 1/4 cm long, about 3 mm in diameter, dull white-tipped black droppings, most likely initially moist but very "fragile" sponge-like texture when they dry out and almost odorless.  No insect fragments, no bone/feathers/scales fragments, no fur particles noticed in the droppings. The are found by the wall, especially behind the objects, 20-30 cm apart, up to 2 m from the suspected gap between the wall and the floor. Able to crawl in 1-1 1/2 cm openings, smart enough to avoid glue traps and open spaces, very curious, doesn't like loud music (in the media closet). I agree with you - its a predator. Does not searches for human food, is not attracted to peanut butter bait, comes out rarely, most likely exclusively to mark the territory in one specific area of the house. The house locates in a new development in urban Kentucky subdivision, close to natural habitats (wide-leaf and/or mixed forests).
I ran out of ideas on how to get rid of it without poisoning or harming it (since I realized it's not a rat). Its way too clever.   
Hopefully, you can advice me on who am i dealing with and how to draw it away.

Dear Vlad

Thank you for your follow-up information. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used. gives a list of mammals living in Kentucky.

I have also found a useful website giving pictures and details of various mammal droppings., and show pictures of droppings of various rodents, some of which are about the same size as the droppings you saw. The dropping of a short-tailed shrew ( is also roughly the same size. Weasel droppings ( are probably too large, but that of the least weasel ( is a possibility, especially as weasels are predators that can squeeze through very small holes.
Please look at the different pictures and see which ones are most similar to the droppings in your house. While a weasel is a strong possibility, I think there are other possibilities. If you are still unsure, please contact a local wildlife rehabilitator ( for advice and I hope someone will detect and remove the animal.

All the best

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.