Wild Animals/wolf

How come Gray Wolves and other species of wolves are seen as EVIL enemies? They just want to be left alone? They're simply wild, mystic, beautiful, kind, creatures. WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? A wolf LOVER

Dear Luke

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolves_in_folklore,_religion_and_mythology says the wolf is a predator, so it is strongly associated with danger, destruction and is often the symbol of the devil, although some cultures use the wolf as a symbol for warriors. The article covers both types of symbolism, but I shall restrict this answer to associations with the devil and evil. Please note that wolves are revered by various cultures.
The article says that the wolf has always been feared and hated in Finland, where it is the symbol of destruction and desolation. Wolves have always been hunted and killed mercilessly, as they are considered to be implacable and malicious predators, killing more than they manage to eat.
The Bible usually refers to wolves as metaphors for greed and destructiveness. Scholars in Medieval Europe interpreted the Book of Genesis as stating that nature exists solely to support people, who must cultivate it with animals being made for human purposes, so nature was only acceptable if controlled by man. The wolf was mentioned in the scriptures as an enemy of flocks: a metaphor for evil men with a lust for power and dishonest gain and for Satan preying on innocent God-fearing Christians. The Roman Catholic Church often used the negative imagery of wolves to create a sense of real devils prowling the world. The Malleus Maleficarum quoted from Leviticus and Deuteronomy, to say that wolves are Godís agents sent to punish sinners or the Devilís agents to harass true believers to test their faith.
The popular image of the wolf is influenced by the Big Bad Wolf stereotype from Aesop's Fables and Grimm's Fairy Tales. The Christian symbolism represents the wolf as the devil, or evil, being after the "sheep" who are the living faithful.
https://www.stormfront.org/forum/t756481/ is a discussion forum related to this topic.  https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091218124002AAymR5W asks people if wolves are evil or awesome.
I think the answer to your question is that many people prefer to think of animals depending on how they are portrayed in folklore and religion. If this means that wolves are good or evil, so be it. It can be very difficult to encourage people to change their minds if this contradicts their beliefs. I know somebody who hypnotises people who are scared of spiders. London Zoo has recently opened a walk-through spider exhibit and while some people freak out a bit, I have yet to see people who are as scared as some people who visit Butterfly Paraadise. Similarly, I attended Zoologica years ago and somebody brought some wolves along and I didnít see anyone freak out there. I like aye-ayes, but some people in Madagascar killed them because they thought they were evil. I think it is really a case of education. In the last few decades, many people have become more interested in bats, rather than being scared of them. Like you, I think wolves are fascinating animals (two former zoo volunteers chose the wolf as their favourite animal) and I hope more people will learn about them and appreciate them for what they are, rather than distorted representations of stories possibly based on myths or accounts of rabid animals.

All the best

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.