Wild Animals/geco droppings in garage

Question
how do I rid gecos from my garage and surroundings?

Answer
Dear Patricia

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites I used. Please note that I cannot verify any of the products listed in pest control websites.

You probably have a Mediterranean or Turkish house gecko. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_house_gecko says it is not considered invasive due to its habits and small size; it rarely threatens populations of native animals. It seems to be highly resistant to insecticides and other pesticides. It has few predators in places where it has been introduced and it tends to take shelter in the cracks and unseen areas of human homes, such as inside walls. Reliance on human habitation has helped its proliferation.
http://www.texasinvasives.org/animal_database/detail.php?symbol=17 says the gecko breeds rapidly. Females lay eggs are laid in cracks and crevices in trees or buildings and other structures.

PestKill(http://pestkill.org/other/lizards/geckos-control/) says that you should trap the geckos inside the garage and surroundings. You can then use repellents to drive geckos away from their favourite feeding and hiding locations. The website lists various products that produce a disagreeable taste and odour to geckos and drive them away from ceilings, lights and walls. Gecko traps use scented lures (smelling like the geckos' favourite food and flavour) and the geckos get stuck to the glue. You should fill any cracks or small holes in the walls  with caulking and replace any screens with holes. You may need to call a professional pest control company.

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Common-House-Geckos says you should reduce the number of insects that the geckos feed on. The geckos should then move out to find better feeding areas. You should plug the ways that geckos get into your garage. Check under the doors for cracks in the door sweep and around windows for non-sealing areas. You should regularly spray bug spray on door and window sills and nearby bushes. Mothballs may deter geckos, but dissolve in water. You can catch a gecko by slapping a plastic bowl over it and sliding a paper under the bowl top; you can then release it far away. Cold geckos are slower, so reducing the temperature of the garage may also help.

I hope this helps

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright