Wild Animals/Whitetail Deer Leg Abnormalty/Injury

Question
The like it to a short video of a whitetail buck with some sort of a problem with its leg. Can you identify the type of injury or growth that is showing? The entire growth appeared within a 3 day period from normal tow hat you see now.

https://youtu.be/lqf2PpqRvMM

Answer
Dear Andre,

A lesion that appeared so suddenly is probably an abscess (localized bacterial infection), though you'd have to biopsy it to be sure.  Looks painful.  :(  Poor guy.  

It also could be a fluid-filled cyst of some kind, but the leg is certainly not broken if he is putting weight on it.  There's a possibility it could be a cysticercosis cyst (tapeworm larvae) if the deer ingested something with tapeworm eggs in it (infected browse).  We've seen lesions like that one some of our bunnies, and our vet was very surprised to find out what it was when it was removed!  (Dang people walking their infected dogs adjacent to our property!)

But again...without a biopsy, it's impossible to know for sure.

Hope he recovers, though.

Dana  

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.