Wild Animals/Drooling Raccoon

Question
Dear Dana,

Do raccoons drool from stress or just from illness?  The reason I am asking is because my two dogs cornered a raccoon on the railing of the balcony (the balcony is high off the ground). The raccoon seemed paralyzed by fear as it was just sitting there and let me approach to put the dogs on leashes. It was not shaking or aggressive and other than the drooling seemed quite healthy and alert.  Neither dog was scratched or bitten but I am wondering if I should be concerned about rabies.  

Thank you,

Andrea

Answer
Dear Andrea,

I think it would be wise to ask your vet whether the rabies virus is endemic in the local population of raccoons and skunks.  If either dog came in contact with any of the raccoon's bodily fluids (e.g. saliva), they could be exposed to the virus if the raccoon was a carrier (he might not have an active disease, but can still carry the virus and transmit it to other animals).

If the dogs are vaccinated, then the risk of their actually getting rabies is minimal.  

It is very possible that the raccoon was just very frightened, and was doing the survival thing by just freezing and hoping the dogs would leave him alone.  But check with your vet to be sure your dogs' vaccinations are up to date, and whether you should be concerned at all.

I hope this helps.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.