Wild Animals/wild animal?

Hello Jonathan,

We went into our attic today to find what was completely sealed "mini size" Halloween candy torn apart and dragged throughout the room - a fake tree knocked over - a sealed in packaging crescent ripped open and eaten ... we have no idea what kind of animal could do this except we found footprints in a sticky work area of a work desk. A quarter has been placed next to them for reference. Please tell us what kind of animal is here and if it carries disease.
Thank you,

dora petrecca

Dear Dora

Thank you for your question. I also wish to thank the authors of the websites and books I used.

'Mammals of North America' by Roland W. Kays and Don E. Wilson shows footprints of North American mammals. The footprints in your attic resemble those of various small carnivores with 5 toes on the front feet. I could not see any marks of claws in the photo. The raccoon and striped skunk are common pest species in New York and the footprints are more similar to those of the skunk(http://www.bear-tracker.com/stskunk.html), rather than the raccoon (http://www.bear-tracker.com/coon.html). I think the striped skunk is the most likely species, but I suggest that you show the photo to a local pest controller.

All the best

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright

I can answer questions about wild mammals and other animals, as well as extinct animals and zoos. I am not an expert about every animal species. I can look up information from books and the internet, but can't verify if all the information is true. Please don't ask questions about: 1. Pets. I am not a vet. Please contact a vet if your pet is ill. You may need to spend some money if you want your pet to live. Don't get a pet if you don't know how to look after it and if you can't provide it with the space, food and possible companions that will help it live a healthy life. Don't take animals from the wild, unless they are ill and/or injured and you can protect them until a wildlife charity can help. It is cruel to take animals from their parents, especially if the parents will look for the babies, while putting their other babies at risk. You may be breaking the law by keeping wild animals or you may need a licence to look after some species. Please check with a local wildlife group. 2. Eggs: Please don't remove eggs from nests. The mother birds provide the right temperature for the eggs and won't sit on them if the temperature is warm enough for them to develop naturally. It is illegal to remove eggs of some species and, unless you have an incubator or a broody hen, the egg may not develop. If you are allowed to touch the eggs, you can candle them to see if they are fertile. If theys aren't fertile, they won't hatch. 3. Fights: Please don't ask about fights between different animals. These questions assume that individuals of two species fight each time they meet and that one species will always be victorious over another. This is untrue. There are cases where a live mouse has been fed to a venomous snake, bitten the snake leading to the snake's demise. 4: Diseases: Please ask doctors or other medical experts about diseases that you may catch from animals. I can't advise on how to deal with viruses, bacteria etc.

I have a zoology degree and have been interested in animals since I was two. I am a zoo volunteer at London Zoo. I have appeared on a BBC Radio Quiz, 'Wildbrain'.

WWF. ZSL. Natural History Museum. RSPB. London Bat Group.

Newsletters of London Zoo volunteers and the London Bat Group

BSC degree in Zoology. 'A' level in Zoology. 'O' Level in Biology.