Wild Animals/Mommy mole and babies

While cleaning up my yard I pulled a tarp up, which the ground and grass was somewhat burying. In the middle of the spot where I had pulled this tarp up was a nest of 5 baby moles or shrews (I'm not sure which) the mother and the father. I accidentally destroyed there nest when I pulled this tarp up and didn't realize it till it was to late. I caught the mother and I scooped up the babies in a plastic bowl the best I could without touching them. Unfortunately my dog killed the father. I'm without a car and will not have a ride till the middle of next week and the local wildlife will not come get them and the mother as killed one of her babies and I've only had them for 5 hours. What should I do I am an animal lover all the way and don't want them to die!! Please help?

Dear Brittany,

I'm no mole expert, but you can find tips on how to raise baby moles who have lost their mother (or whose mother has abandoned them) here:

I hope it helps you keep them okay until you can get them to the wildlife rehabilitator.

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I'm an evolutionary biologist with a passion for animals. Ask about natural history, behavior, ecology, evolution. PLEASE NOTE:

If you have found an "orphaned" or injured wild animal or bird:
Please don't waste time asking questions on the internet, as the answers may come too late. DO NOT FEED THE ANIMAL, and DO NOT HANDLE IT unless it is in imminent danger. (Many wild "orphans" are not orphans at all!) If you are absolutely sure it is orphaned, keep it warm and quiet, and find a LICENSED WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR HERE. Don't try to raise a baby yourself, or rehabilitate an injured anmal. Many a well-intentioned rescuer will do more harm than good, especially with baby birds and baby rabbits.

Without geographic location, time of day and habitat, I can't help. A clear picture is always best.

It's impossible for me to I.D. an animal call without hearing it myself.

I'm not an expert on comparative strengths of different animals (more complicated than you might think!) nor bite forces.

I refuse to answer "Which of these two animals--X or X--would win in a fight?".

These hypothetical matchups range from impossible (Grizzly Bears and Gorillas don't even occupy the same continent.) to ridiculous (Someone asked me "Who would win a fight between a Great White Shark and a tiger?").

The vast majority of animals--even the fierce and powerful--are not as warlike as Homo sapiens, and it's childish to project our aggressiveness onto them.

I have been the fortunate caregiver to a group of Black-tailed Jackrabbits rescued from the Miami International Airport, and not releasable in this area because they are not native. I also have rehabbed and released Eastern Cottontails, and am in contact with many very experienced wildlife rescuers who regularly handle injured or orphaned rabbits and hares.

House Rabbit Society

Exotic DVM journal

I have a Ph.D. in Biology, with main areas of expertise in evolutionary biology, genetics, botany, and ecology.