Wild Animals/Behavior Between 2 Species

A symbiotic relationship, is a relationship where both animals involved benefit. My question is why don't more animals/species capitalize on this opportunity and form symbiotic relationships with other species?

Dear Zach,

Actually, symbiotic relationships come in three forms:

(1) Mutualism: this is a relationship in which both organisms benefit from one another.

(2) Commensalism: in this symbiosis, one animal benefits while the other is unaffected.

(3) Parasitic: in this relationship, one animal benefits while the other is harmed.

Symbiotic relationships exist everywhere between vastly different species of different domains; e.g., bacteria in the guts of ungulates provide functions vital to the herbivore's digestion, while the ungulates provide the bacteria with nutrients which permit their growth. Ultimately, the development of a symbiotic relationship (or lack thereof) is determined by natural selection.

Wild Animals

Fady D. Isho

I can answer general questions about any and all of the phyla within the kingdom Animalia. I am most knowledgeable on the predatory, reproductive, and intraspecific and interspecific behavior of megafauna, including but not limited to the big cats, ursines, hyenas, canids, and the like. I can also answer some questions about animal conservation, but please do not ask me how to rehabilitate feral animals. Virtually every state in America has a local animal shelter or rehabilitation center that serves that purpose. I would also prefer not to answer questions about hypothetical animal fights.

I've read about animals for the majority of my life, and have researched and studied them independently and academically.

I am a few semesters away from obtaining a B.S. in biology.