Wild Animals/Behavior Between 2 Species

Question
A symbiotic relationship, is a relationship where both animals involved benefit. My question is why don't more animals/species capitalize on this opportunity and form symbiotic relationships with other species?

Answer
Dear Zach,

Actually, symbiotic relationships come in three forms:

(1) Mutualism: this is a relationship in which both organisms benefit from one another.

(2) Commensalism: in this symbiosis, one animal benefits while the other is unaffected.

(3) Parasitic: in this relationship, one animal benefits while the other is harmed.

Symbiotic relationships exist everywhere between vastly different species of different domains; e.g., bacteria in the guts of ungulates provide functions vital to the herbivore's digestion, while the ungulates provide the bacteria with nutrients which permit their growth. Ultimately, the development of a symbiotic relationship (or lack thereof) is determined by natural selection.

Fady

Wild Animals

Fady D. Isho