Wild Animals/Penguin info for a 1st grader!

Question
My daughter Emma (7) has decided that when she grows up, she wants to be an ornithologist and take care of penguins! Emma loves penguins! They are her favorite animal! Her favorite penguin in the Emperor Black Footed Penguin and the Macaroni penguin. We just finished watching March of the Penguins.  This Tuesday is Career Day at her school and she is supposed to dress up! She would like to know what you wear to study and take care of penguins. What tools do you use? Also, how do you become an ornithologist? She would also like to know how penguins know when danger is near? Which penguin weighs the most? What kind of fish does the momma penguin give her baby to eat? Thank you very much!!
Renee McGraw (on behalf of Emma McGraw)

Answer
Dyan deNapoli with SANCCOB
Dyan deNapoli with SAN  

Dyan deNapoli with Noir
Dyan deNapoli with Noi  
Hello Emma and Renee,

I'm very happy to hear that you want to work with penguins when you grow up, Emma! To answer your questions, my uniform when I worked in the Penguin Department at the New England Aquarium in Boston consisted of khaki shorts or khaki pants, and a short-sleeved polo shirt with the aquarium's logo on it. We were also provided with long-sleeved fleeces with the aquarium's logo - and we had to wear closed-toed sandals or shoes. When I first worked there, the shirts were an indigo blue, but they later were a dark green. When we were in the penguin exhibit (which had chest-deep water), we wore wetsuits. (See attached photos.)

As for tools, to clean the exhibit we used water hoses, veterinary disinfectant, and brushes with nylon bristles to scrub the guano off of the islands. And we used a pool vacuum to remove the guano from the bottom of the pool. We also used a type of scrubbing pad on a stick called a Doodlebug to scrub the algae off of the pool floor. (It's sort of the like hard side of a scrubbing sponge that you'd use to scrub pots and pans.) We had to use other tools as well for plumbing and other things - such as electric drills and wrenches, etc.

To eventually become an ornithologist, it's important to do well in your science classes. And of course, read every book about birds and penguins that you can get your hands on! And get as much animal-care experience as you can, either by getting a job or volunteering to work with animals. And when it's time to go to college, apply to colleges that have an ornithology program. My degree is actually in veterinary nursing, and my coworkers had various other degrees including biology, marine biology, psychology, and zoology.

As far as knowing when danger is near, that's a tough one to answer. They don't always know - but when entering the ocean, penguins will often stand nervously by the edge of the water because they know there's always the possibility of a predator being nearby. So, no one wants to be the first penguin to go in!

The largest and heaviest penguin is the Emperor penguin, which stand about 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall, and weighs between 65 and 95 pounds. (The males are larger than the females.)

And each of the 18 penguin species eat different foods, depending on where they live. Generally speaking, the four penguin species that live and breed in Antarctica (the Emperor, Chinstrap, Gentoo, and Adelie) eat primarily krill, which is a small, pink, shrimp-like creature. Penguins that live in warmer climates eat mostly fish, and sometimes squid - and the type of fish varies depending on where the penguins live.

Good luck with your Career Day project!

Best wishes,
Dyan  

Wild Animals

Dyan deNapoli