Wild Animals/Baby raccoon

About 8 this morning we found ababh raccoon on our back step very friendly it weighs about 1 PD and has numbs for teeth I believe it is blind in one eye and am wondering how old it is and what it eats I also have a 18 month old and 3 mnth old child are they say the baby coon seems to be fine with them

Dear Katlyn,

Please contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator right away to get this baby the proper care it needs:

Do not let the children contact the raccoon, as it can carry parasites that can be extremely dangerous to humans (Baylisascaris procyoni nematodes), and possibly could be a carrier of the rabies virus, which can be transmitted via saliva, even if the baby has no teeth.  Animals can carry the virus asymptomatically.  If you and the children have been in contact with the raccoon, please seek advice from your family practitioner, who will let you know if any measures need to be taken to prevent problems.

It is illegal in most states to keep wildlife, so it's best for everyone concerned to get that baby to a good wildlife rehabilitator ASAP.

I hope this helps.

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I'm an evolutionary biologist with a passion for animals. Ask about natural history, behavior, ecology, evolution. PLEASE NOTE:

If you have found an "orphaned" or injured wild animal or bird:
Please don't waste time asking questions on the internet, as the answers may come too late. DO NOT FEED THE ANIMAL, and DO NOT HANDLE IT unless it is in imminent danger. (Many wild "orphans" are not orphans at all!) If you are absolutely sure it is orphaned, keep it warm and quiet, and find a LICENSED WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR HERE. Don't try to raise a baby yourself, or rehabilitate an injured anmal. Many a well-intentioned rescuer will do more harm than good, especially with baby birds and baby rabbits.

Without geographic location, time of day and habitat, I can't help. A clear picture is always best.

It's impossible for me to I.D. an animal call without hearing it myself.

I'm not an expert on comparative strengths of different animals (more complicated than you might think!) nor bite forces.

I refuse to answer "Which of these two animals--X or X--would win in a fight?".

These hypothetical matchups range from impossible (Grizzly Bears and Gorillas don't even occupy the same continent.) to ridiculous (Someone asked me "Who would win a fight between a Great White Shark and a tiger?").

The vast majority of animals--even the fierce and powerful--are not as warlike as Homo sapiens, and it's childish to project our aggressiveness onto them.

I have been the fortunate caregiver to a group of Black-tailed Jackrabbits rescued from the Miami International Airport, and not releasable in this area because they are not native. I also have rehabbed and released Eastern Cottontails, and am in contact with many very experienced wildlife rescuers who regularly handle injured or orphaned rabbits and hares.

House Rabbit Society

Exotic DVM journal

I have a Ph.D. in Biology, with main areas of expertise in evolutionary biology, genetics, botany, and ecology.