Wild Animals/Baby raccoon

Question
About 8 this morning we found ababh raccoon on our back step very friendly it weighs about 1 PD and has numbs for teeth I believe it is blind in one eye and am wondering how old it is and what it eats I also have a 18 month old and 3 mnth old child are they say the baby coon seems to be fine with them

Answer
Dear Katlyn,

Please contact a licensed wildlife rehabilitator right away to get this baby the proper care it needs:

http://www.nwrawildlife.org/?page=Find_A_Rehabilitator

Do not let the children contact the raccoon, as it can carry parasites that can be extremely dangerous to humans (Baylisascaris procyoni nematodes), and possibly could be a carrier of the rabies virus, which can be transmitted via saliva, even if the baby has no teeth.  Animals can carry the virus asymptomatically.  If you and the children have been in contact with the raccoon, please seek advice from your family practitioner, who will let you know if any measures need to be taken to prevent problems.

It is illegal in most states to keep wildlife, so it's best for everyone concerned to get that baby to a good wildlife rehabilitator ASAP.

I hope this helps.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.