Wild Animals/Large Black Nocturnal Cat

Question
I live in Berkeley county Wv and for the last two weeks we have been finding rabbit fur and bird feathers all over our yard. Two weeks ago while sitting on our front porch a very large black animal that looked similar to a cat laid curled up under one of our trees it was about 35 to 40 pounds. Then yesterday we saw it in the neighbors back yard eating something and when we startled it the animal jumped a six foot fence as though it were nothing. It is black with a mid size length tail and a rather large head with broad shoulders. We are only seeing it either right after the sun goes down or at night. we are afraid to allow our dog or children to go out at night. What could this be as we live in a rural area but we are not in the mountains.

Answer
Dear Joyce,

The only thing I can think of that even remotely fits that description would be a melanistic bobcat.  Bobcats do make incursions into suburban areas if there are woods anywhere nearby, so this is not impossible.

Here are some pictures of melanistic (i.e., mutant form with all black fur) bobcats you can look at to compare it to the animal you are seeing:

https://www.google.com/search?q=melanistic+bobcat&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW6KfK06_NAhWBGB4KHXvlDQkQ_AUICCgB&biw=1369&bih=666

A bobcat will not attack an adult human, but pets and small children should not be out where the cat could encounter them.  I hope everyone stays safe.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.