Wild Animals/Throwing table scraps into canals

Question
I don't like the idea of old table scraps going to land fills so I freeze them and toss them into a nearby canal containing fish in aquatic plants. I live in South Florida and our canals are filled many different species of fish and plants. Am I doing any harm to this ecosystem as long as only throw food into the canal WITHOUT wrappers or containers?

Answer
Dear Luis,

While I applaud your environmental consciousness, throwing table scraps into our canals is not a great idea.  It will do little more than promote the growth of already thick bacteria.  Almost all the bodies of water in southern Florida are highly eutrophic, meaning they are over-full of nutrients.  This promotes the type of toxic algal bloom we're seeing off the coast right now.

The good news is something I learned recently:  our regular trash here in southern Florida does not go into the landfill.  It actually is burned for energy.  Not that the added CO2 is great, but it's better than landfill.

I'd suggest you place any animal-origin garbage (meat, dairy) in the freezer until trash day, and start a compost pile for all your plant-origin garbage.  You don't have to wait long for nice soil to develop here in southern Florida!  Our compost heap turns into soil in about two weeks in the summer!

The place for table scraps is in the trash or the compost, where it won't contribute to the pollution of our water table.

Hope that helps!

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.