Wild Animals/procreation

Question
Giving birth and caring for one's youth takes much dedication and energy. There is no evidence that animals care for their elderly parents apart from maybe Elephants. Do animal procreate purely out of biological instinct to spread their genes? is there any evidence showing that any animal actually enjoy the experience? Apart from human, does any animal procreate as a choice instead of merely a preprogrammed biological instinct?

Answer
Dear Linda,

There are only two species, other than humans, that have been shown to have sex for fun and bonding.  Those are Bottlenose Dolphins and Pygmy Chimpanzees.  

We don't really know for sure whether other species enjoy sex, though the males certainly must get a positive outcome to be so aggressively seeking it all the time.  We can't really get into their heads to know for sure.  Still, since the only animals who *know* they're spreading their genes are humans (and since a lot of humans take great steps to prevent spreading their genes while still having sex), it's not unlikely to suspect that non-human species do experience a positive stimulus when having sex, or they probably would not engage in it.  Those who didn't have a strong sex drive would be pretty rapidly out of the gene pool.  

It would be reasonable to think that social species would be more likely to have been selected to bond via sexual union, so I'd start the research there.  

Not sure that helps, but there it is.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.