Wild Animals/Query re fish and saltwater/freshwater

Question

I have read a bit and found out that saltwater fish cannot handle freshwater and vice-versa. This seems to be due to salinity and osmosis. However, I have also read about certain fish species like perch which can handle both saltwater and freshwater environments. What I want to know is how a fish species can easily adapt itself to both saltwater- and freshwater-envinironments.

Answer
Dear Gerald,

Well...I'm not sure how much you already know from your readings, so I'm not sure I'll be telling you anything you don't already know here.  But...

Anadromous (moving from saltwater to freshwater to spawn) and catadromous (moving from freshwater to saltwater to spawn) fish have the special challenge of keeping their body tissues at a constant salinity/osmolality despite their changing environment.  They use the same basic mechanisms that freshwater and saltwater fish use to maintain water balance, but they are able to adjust their mechanisms (probably while they are in transition in brackish areas) from one to the other.

You can find a nice overview of how salmon (anadromous) maintain homeostasis while switching from salt to fresh water here:

http://www.unm.edu/~toolson/salmon_osmoregulation.html

And an overall review of both here:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G2-3400500059.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/higher/biology/genetics_adaptation/maintaining_wat

Basically, anadromous and catadromous fish literally switch from freshwater osmoregulation mechanisms to saltwater osmoregulation mechanisms (or vice versa) as they travel between the two habitats.

The physiological details of these mechanisms are complex, but if you are interested in reading about them, I can refer you to sources to learn about the sodium-potassium pump and other players in this metabolic drama.  :)

Hope this helps.

Dana

Wild Animals

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.