Wild Animals/Wombats

Question
I would like to know if it's realistic to have a wombat as a pet. I know that it's a protected animal but I also discovered that some breeds are still being shot as vermin in Victoria, Australia. Is there any way that one could be adopted without going to jail? If so, would it be unadvisable?

I really appreciate your time and knowledge. Thank you.

Mike

Answer
Dear Mike

Thanks for your e-mail.

I have heard of many people keeping wombats as pets. Perhaps the most famous wombat keeper was Dante Gabriel Rossetti. His pet slept on a silver server on his dining table. Some people think that Lewis Carroll used Rossett's wombat as the model for his dormouse in Alice in Wonderland. There is still a byelaw prohibiting people living in Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, London from keeping wombats, as Rossetti's wombat caused a lot of damage through digging holes in gardens. Wombats are considered to be affectionate and playful, but somewhat grumpy pets.

I found various sites about keeping wombats, but I was most impressed by Russell's Burrow (www.netspeed.com.au/wombadilliac/pet_wombats.htm)
Russell says that wombats do not make good pets and that it is illegal to keep a wombat as a pet throughout much of Australia. You cannot buy a pet wombat. Wombats can harm you with their teeth, claws and powerful bodies and will damage furniture and other home fittings. They have powerful claws and can gnaw through hard objects with their teeth. They could cost you a fortune and wombat-proof enclosures will not be cheap.

If you do not live in Australia, I cannot see you importing a wombat, unless you are a zoo or some other scientific institution. It is very difficult to get a licence to import Australian wildlife.

Like you, I find it strange that Australians kill kangaroos and other native animals, but will not export them, so that they can be kept in zoos etc. It doesn't make much sense.

Like Russell. i advise you not to keep a pet wombat. Hopefully, you'll be able to help wombats in some other way. Russell suggests caring for wombats before they can be released back into the wild. You could also adopt a wombat at a zoo or support an appropriate charity.

There are still a few people who ask for wombats at London Zoo, despite it being several years since the last wombat died there. I like seeing wombats at zoos, too. I have seen common wombats at a few zoos and saw hairy-nosed wombats at Rotterdam Zoo.

All the best

Jonathan  

Wild Animals

Jonathan Wright