Wilderness Survival / Primitive Skills/Disaster Survival

Question
With the recent violent tornadoes and floods that have hit the US I have started to think seriously above short term survival in situations where you may be trapped in your basement or home for some period of time before help arrives. One of the things I would be concerned about is how to cook food and/or boil water with no access to the outside world and in a situation when venturing outdoors may be dangerous. Because of this I know items like camp stoves would be dangerous as you would have to store small propane canisters in your home which are an explosive hazard.

So I was wondering what the best way it would be to provide a heat source for both warmth and cooking while not posing a threat being in a small enclosed space like a basement.  

Thank You

Answer
Potable water can be stored for long periods of time without the need to heat.  Having said that, if you must use a heat source in a confined space, the volatility of liquid and gas fuels is only one concern.  The other is out gassing.  More folks died in the ice storm of '98 from generator exhaust than from the weather or prolonged power outages.  While the small canisters of propane are the most stable of the gas and liquid fuel sources, the safer alternative to heating food without a wood stove or power would be chemical heating bags that are activated by water.  This method also outguesses and should be used sparingly in confined spaces.  They are used by the military and are found in most MRE's (Meals Ready to Eat).  With safety, preparation, and conservation of resources to consider, a winter weight sleeping bag for each family member, potable water stored in safe containers, five gallons for each family member, plus five gallons for heating and sanitation (You can't wash wounds or rinse dishes with hand sanitizer), and use of chemical heating bags planned for once a day over a five day period would be a solid foundation for short term survival.  Remember not to advertise the fact you have these things as looting in the aftermath of traumatic events is more common than not.  It is better to be in a position where you can offer aid rather than one where you need to defend yourself against panicked neighbors who want your water and resources because they knew you had them before an incident.  Much Respect, and I hope this helps.

Wilderness Survival / Primitive Skills

Michael James Douglas