Wilderness Survival / Primitive Skills/Plant Knowledge

Question
Hello,

I'm interested in learning all I can about my local plants. Mainly edible, medicinal, and utilitarian plants; but I would enjoy being able to name others too. How would you recommend going about this process? I am willing to do anything from taking notes and sketches, to taking pictures and uploading on answers.com

Perhaps you could recommend some books on the subject, or a good reference site with lots of pictures.

Thank you very much for your time. My apologies if this strays from your expertise.

Answer
Good Morning Christy.  The book that fits your needs exactly would be "Ancestral Plants" by Arthur Haines.  It is the first in a three volume series. While volume one is the only one in print so far, each volume details 100 of the most important plants for edible, medicinal, and utilitarian uses.  There are close up photos of each plants, traditiona uses, modern research when available, recipes, insrtuctions for medicinal and utilitarian uses and personal experiences written about each one.  Here is the link:  http://www.arthurhaines.com/ancestral_plants.html

I hope this helps.

Wilderness Survival / Primitive Skills

Michael James Douglas