Wilderness Survival / Primitive Skills/managing heat

Question
Hello,
this is the setting, you've been out snowshoeing for a good half of the day and you're on your way home. You'll be back to civilization in a couple of hours. At some point during the day the snow was more iced rain than snow and it got your clothes and gloves wet. You're not soaked as if you plunged into the water but you're damp indeed, plus you're starting to feel the chills as the trail is now easy and you aren't producing much heat yourself.
On the good side of things there's a warm and most of all dry jacket in your backpack. Do you remove the outer layer of your clothes and put on the dry jacket? Though the other layers of your clothing are damp too and you're losing some heat in the process, will you make it up?
Or you put on your dry jacket on top of all wet things?
Or maybe you don't put it on at all and wait until you're back to civilization since it's not so far? Temperature is freezing point or slightly below that, no wind.
I would like to know what'd be the most logical thing to do.
Thanks a lot!

Answer
If your clothing material is hydrophobic, meaning the fabric does not absorb moisture, such as polypropylene, silk, or marino wool, than I would leave them on and increase my pace to burn calories at a sustainable rate.  This will elevate your core temperature and dry out your clothes while keeping you warm.  If that proves unsuccessful and you have a hood on the dry coat, remove the top layer all together, put on the coat and again, increase your pace toward warm shelter or fire.  Carrying a pair of glove liners in your waste band with a pair of wool socks next to them allows you to always have warm hands and feet.  Simply switch over your cold/wet pair for the warm dry ones.  Having the finger tips and toes of the socks/gloves down the front to your trousers keeps them near your femoral arteries and it acts as a warmer/dryer.  If you have the means to start fire easily and the distance back to a shelter is too great, a warming/drying fire may be a better option, but mobility is the most efficient way to generate body heat.  I hope this helps!

Wilderness Survival / Primitive Skills

Michael James Douglas