Wildlife/bird that growls/roars

Wldhare24 wrote at 2009-08-10 01:13:00
You might consider the nighthawk. The do perform a diving display that ends in a kind of growling sound and they are active right as it is getting dark. They also make a very distinctive call as it is getting dark and this might help you identify this bird you are hearing.

Dee wrote at 2010-05-29 00:58:52
not an answer, but live in the panhandle of Florida, and I know the sound....have had the bejeebies scared out of me...makes my dog run and hide...the bird is high in the air, dusk and dawn...is squawking, then has a short roar almost like a bear....it does that inbetween the squawks...just as one ends...and swoops down towards ground (me) as it roars..caught a glimpse of what looked like white on the underside of wingspan on both sides during one swoopdown.  Mostly swoops at the light.

Shawnalei wrote at 2011-04-18 01:42:04
I have the exact same inquiry as you. The sighting was today (April 17, 2011) at around 7 p.m. Everything you described is the same. The only difference is that I live in northwestern Florida. The woods are mostly pine, and I'm only a bit above sea-level. I was standing on my porch watching a little bird flying above the woods around my house, and all of a sudden I hear this crazy roar, or croak. Scared the crap out of me. I thought, maybe it's a frog or some larger animal in the woods, but I walked out and followed the bird and discovered that the crazy noise coincided with the bird diving. Literally every time it dove, I heard the noise. At first I speculated that maybe the bird was diving at a larger animal, which made the noise in response, but decided against it since the bird was diving in so many different places.

I am thoroughly perplexed. I've been unable to find a matching description of any small bird that makes this large-sounding noise while diving.

I'm sorry this isn't an actual answer, but hopefully it will help someone figure this out. I'd really like to know what kind of bird this is.

Thanks,

Shawnalei.

Barbara wrote at 2012-05-28 20:19:59
I think the bird you saw is a Common Snipe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Snipe. From the wikipedia entry: "The male performs "winnowing" display during courtship, flying high in circles and then taking shallow dives to produce a "drumming" sound by vibrating its tail feathers. This sound has been compared by others to the bleating of a sheep or goat; hence in many languages the Snipe is known by names signifying “Flying Goat,” “Heaven's Ram,” as in Scotland by “Heather-bleater”[7] and in Finnish the name taivaanvuohi, "sky goat". "

I saw/heard one yesterday in Iceland (Húsavík). This is what we found in the bird guide, and your description matches our experience almost exactly.

Salty Dog wrote at 2012-07-06 05:31:07
I too wonder about this dive-bombing, growler bird. The one I've seen seems to be the same as you described in your original question, but I live in the Idaho mountains. I've been dive-bombed too and I thought a bear had snuck up on me. I watched it fly around for a while after I realized the bird was the one making the noise.  It deffinately makes the noise as it dives toward the ground. I wouldn't describe it as small however, more of a medium size, or seagull-size bird. It seems to have a sleek, slinder build with a lighter underside. It flies very fast and makes regular swoops, but doesn't make the growling noise every time it swoops.

Curious minds want to know what it is. None of the birds in the answers seem to fit the description.  

Bobby wrote at 2012-08-09 00:47:42
i have a very similar experience and I live in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada.  It makes several squeaks and does the dive growling thing.  I live next to a tree line in a new sub division so we have lots of birds and wildlife.  Does a snipe exist this far north or do you think it could be a night hawk?

churches wrote at 2013-07-01 19:35:32
I had the same experience in the Baker wilderness in Washington state this weekend! Maybe that can help narrow down the choices, considering which birds might overlap in geography. I thought it was a bear outside my camp at first!

churches wrote at 2013-07-01 23:41:09
I have recorded this bird call while camping in the Baker Wilderness area, Suiattle River (Washington State). I thought this was a bear in the woods at first, which scared the crap outta me! Is this what you all had heard? At about 12 seconds, 29 seconds, and 50 seconds, you can hear the 'growling' noise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfbkY86iayA&feature=youtu.be

Wildlife

Silver