Wildlife/Baby rat

Someone recently gave me a baby rat that they found in their chicken coop. I think she's probably around 9-10 days old. I've been feeding her a mix of kitten milk replacer, goat milk and water every 2-3 hours. I've cared for many orphan bottle fed kittens before, but this is different. She is about 17 or 18 grams. I think she's lost weight since I got her. Is there anything else I should be doing? She's in a 5 gallon tank with a heating pad under one side and ripped up toilet paper to burrow in. Today, I just started to give her little pieces of bread soaked in the formula. She pees and poos normally, but I'm just worried because of the weight loss

Hi Mandi,

It sounds as though you are doing things correctly. How much do you feed her at each feeding? Are you keeping track of her weight via digital scale? Orphaned wild babies are a bit more difficult to care for since we can only imitate their diet as closely as possible and this means that they may be smaller than they normally would. I've heard that Esbilac milk replacer fed with a syringe is good to use for wild rodents.

Are her eyes open and is she well furred? Does she go to the bathroom on her own or do you stimulate her similar to kittens?

Keeping her warm is important, too, if she is very young.

I can answer questions relating to wildlife health and disease, conservation, management, and general information questions or concerns.

I have a life-long interest in wildlife.

Biomedical Sciences