Wildlife/leaf cutter/harvester ants

Question
PLEASE TELL ME HOW DO I GET RID OF/KILL LEAF CUTTER ANTS.  I HAVE SPENT TONS OF MONEY ON REPLACING PLANTS/ ANT SPRAY, POWDERS, BAITS .  USING THE HOSE TO FLOOD THE NEST   POURING BLEACH INTO THE NESTS, BORAX, COVERING THE MOUND WITH DIRT AND ROCKS THE JUST COME OUT IN A DIFFEREN SPOT, AROUND THE DIRT, ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  FINALLY AFTER 2 YEARS OF BATTLE THEY ARE GONE IN ONE SPOT. I THINK THEY MOVED TO THE BACK YARD,  TOTALLY STRIPPED BY HONEYSUCKLE VINES,  MY ONE GARDENIA I MOVED WAS COMMING BACK SO LUSH AND A FLOWER BUD. WAS GROWING FOR COUPLE MONTHS, WENT OUT TO WATER YESTERDAY G O N E.  OVERNIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  H E L P.

Answer
Hi Ruth,

Thank you for your question and I am sorry you are having such a terrible time with these ants. Unfortunately, just as you have witnessed, these ants can be difficult to control. You have to be persistent with the application of sprays and powders, with frequent applications. Products (insecticides) that have worked in the past include acephate (Orthene®), carbaryl (Sevin®) or permethrin (Terro™). There is also a product called Amdro® Ant Block that is labeled for control of leaf cutting ants. It is important to note, however, that this will not eliminate the colonies but will decrease activity. Reapplication of products will be necessary. Also, please use caution when applying insecticides to areas where pets and wildlife frequent or near water sources; unintentional poisoning may occur.

I would also recommend contacting your local pest control and/or county extension office to see if they have any recommendations. If you have additional questions, do not hesitate to ask.

Again, sorry this has been problematic for you.

Stacie  

Wildlife

SG