Wildlife/Mallard nesting

Question
Female mallard duck
Female mallard duck  
I live on the second floor of an apartment and this morning I noticed a female mallard duck dug up dirt from a garden pot and is now laying it in. There is a male mallard duck near the bottom of my steps. I believe she is laying eggs. Should I be leaving water or food? Is she a danger to us? She is a couple feet away from out front door. Thank you in advance.

Answer
Hi Elizabeth!

I would consult with your regional Parks & Wildlife agency. Most wild ducks are protected by state and federal laws, and it may be illegal to disturb the nesting site.

The ducks should not be a danger to you, but they can be messy (lots of poop) and noisy. I also would not offer food or water since it may encourage them to stay around longer or attract other wildlife to your apartment.

Thank you- Please let me know if have any further questions!

Sincerely,

Stacie

Wildlife

SG