Wildlife Damage Control/relocating brown rats

Question
I live in South Florida and have a brown rat colony residing under my shed...they are wrecking havoc on my vegetable garden so I have successfully relocated 6 of them (live trap) across the street into a heavily wooded/brushy area; my question is, this woods is across my yard and across the street (about 100 yards away from the shed)...will they stay put, or am I relocating the same ones over and over...thank you very much!..Nick

Answer
I am puzzled as to why you would be relocating rats. I am assuming these rats are Rattus norvegicus, aka Norway rats or possibly you are referring to Black rats aka roof rats Rattus rattus. Neither of them should be relocated, they should be killed. They are invasive species to the U.S. Meaning like the burmese python, They don't belong here.

Stop using cage traps (which is what I assume you meant by live trap (as footholds are also live traps)) and turn to snap traps placed inside bait stations so you don't hurt other animals. Electric shock traps work too but they can be a bit pricey.

Here is a publication that will help you further that I helped write. Just be sure to check state regulations. http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/sendIt/g1737.pdf

Wildlife Damage Control

Stephen M. Vantassel