Wildlife Damage Control/Wild baby bunnies

Question
QUESTION: I first encountered a wild baby bunny on Thursday of last week and after I caught him, I put him in my apartment, (safe from my two cats of course) until I could release him in a sparse woodsy area after I got off work which I did. Then today, I came across two more wild baby bunnies. I released them into the same woodsy area and I have a feeling I will be encountering more. What should I do?

ANSWER: If you care you leave them there. Keeping cats indoors also helps.

Rabbits mature quickly the don't need help except in regards to free range cats. cats

QUESTION: There are cats around but only occasionally. I am working on the grounds of my apartment complex and usually when I cleaning out the flowerbeds is when I see them take off and they usually go running around in the parking lot where sometimes cars dont stop in time. Is that safe for them? Because that is when I try to rescue them and release them into a safer spot. I just worry that they will be splatted by the cars

Answer
Nature is not safe for anyone or anything. Cars are major killers of wildlife as are free-ranging cats. Translocation of wildlife is a bad idea. Visit http://icwdm.org/ControlMethods/Relocation.aspx to learn why.

Also you are exposing yourself to whatever the rabbits may be carrying, such as fleas and ticks. If you care, leave them there and Keep dogs and cats leashed.  

Wildlife Damage Control

Stephen M. Vantassel