Wildlife Damage Control/Raccoon & Kits in Attic and Walls

I have a mother Raccoon and kits in my attic, walls and crawl space between my first and second floors. They have been there at least a few weeks.  I can heard the racket.  I also set up my iPhone and a motion-detector-cam app and saw the raccoon exiting an attic vent (screen broken) and climbing onto the roof. I don't want to seal the opening yet because the kits will die and cause an odor.   I have tried using high pitched sounds from an iPhone app connected to a boom box. This only makes them move to another spot in the house.  I have ordered a couple more high-frequency devices that are supposed to scare away raccoons, etc. I fear the damage in my house is growing worse by the day.  I fear wire-chewing,and the unsanitary conditions  of excrement which I can now smell.  It must be seeping into the sheetrock on my first floor ceiling. Do you have any other suggestions on how to get them all to leave quickly?  Thank you!

So sorry you wasted your money on ultrasonics.

If you want them removed quickly, the best solution would be to hire a professional wildlife control oeprator. Here is some info for you.

Raccoons in Attic.

Find out the trapping laws in your state visit Then if legal trap them out. Find where they are climbing up your building and set cage traps that are 10x12x32 inches in size. You know they are gone by corking the hole with newspaper. If the newspaper isn't moved for several days during normal weather, then you know they are gone. Then seal the hole with strong hardware cloth or flashing. I also recommend filling the hole with foam to prevent air flow. Learn more about this technique at

If you have a female that has had young in the attic, then catch her and go up in the attic (make sure you have the right female going in an attic for young can be dangerous) and remove the young by hand. (Preferably a gloved hand with good strong leather gloves or cat grasper, there is a chance they can bite and when picked up they do urinate so watch out). Remember, wildlife carry diseases dangerous to people so get informed before doing (ANY) work. For some information click   to learn about this lesser known infection. (Everyone knows about the threat of rabies).
Never enter an attic without proper protection which includes at minimum, HEPA filter mask (properly fitted), leather gloves and eye protection. Do not capture mom unless you are willing and able to remove the young too.

Eviction products called “Raccoon eviction fluid” and “Vanish” have pretty good reputations for convincing female raccoons with young to leave a building. It isn't a 100% but it has been known to work. Search the web for those terms  to learn how to buy it. You can try harassment. Visit  Understand that harassment isn't instant coffee. Consider how hard it would be for your neighbor to convince you to leave your home. Well the raccoon is in a similar situation. She doesn't want to move the young as that would involve a lot of work. Harassment involves, time, intensity and annoyance. All three factors have to combine to convince the animal to move on. Be careful though, she may abandon young in the process.

Using one way doors is an option. But due to the complexities involved in using this technique, we only recommend that it be done in concert with a professional or someone experienced in raccoon control.

For information on raccoon trapping, visit  to learn about trapping safety issues. Then go to    Always check with your state laws before doing any trapping. Also BEFORE you begin trapping learn how to handle a skunk as people often catch skunks while trapping for raccoons. Visit Sometimes raccoons walk past a trap, that isn't uncommon given the number of people who choose to relocate raccoons. Capturing an educated raccoons can be very difficult. Now for many animal damage controllers cage educated raccoons are no big deal if they live in a state that hasn't been foolish enough to ban traps, Massachusetts, California and Washington are examples of states whose citizens were appropriately duped by the animal rights protest industry. But I digress. Do not trap a female with young unless you can gain access to the young. Do not enter an attic or enclosed space without proper safety equipment and training.

If you choose to hire a professional visit    The previous link also provides listings for professionals if you choose to hire one. Be sure to read our advice on what to look for before you hire anyone. There are lots of people who think they are professional animal damage controllers but actually aren’t.
If you decide to trap, don’t assume that translocation is humane or necessarily legal in your state.  to learn why. If legal in your state, the raccoon should be released on site (often not practical) or euthanized. See  to learn how.

So don't waste your time. Repellents can work but as you have seen these aren't 100 percent.  

I would suggest that you be sure your chimney is raccoon free and then appropriately capped with a stainless steel cap. this will prevent her from moving to the chimney. One of the problems of harassment is you don't know where she will move next. Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.
Unfortunately, without more information this about all I can tell you at the moment.

Prevent future problems by following the advice found at  Always remember when looking to prevent raccoon entry, the principle is “strength before beauty”. NEVER secure an opening without being sure that it is no longer being used by an animal. Visit to learn how to tell.

Animal Disposal If you decide to trap, don’t assume that translocation is humane or necessarily legal in your state.  to learn why. If legal in your state, the raccoon should be released on site (often not practical) or euthanized. See  to learn how.   To learn how to dispose of the carcass visit  

We are always looking for images (if you can safely take them) of wildlife damage to help us in our educational mission. To learn how to take better photos visit We prefer high resolution, (3 mg or higher). Send to  

Please include permission to use the images and where and when the photos were taken. Month/year is fine as is county or city  and state.

Disclaimer: As with any activity, remember that animal damage control comes with its own risks and problems which can include but are not limited to legalities, health threats, and personal liabilities. Be sure to follow all state laws governing wildlife and make sure you have a thorough understanding on how to resolve the animal damage complaint. My advice is only as good as your understanding of me and my understanding of your situation. If you have any questions be sure to write back.

Wildlife Damage Control

Stephen M. Vantassel

I can assist the public in responding to all kinds of wildlife related problems in the United States and Canada, including birds, mice, rats, skunks, raccoons, beavers, opossums, voles, moles, chipmunks, woodchucks, pocket gophers, and more. Please note that I specialize in vertebrates only, (animals with a backbone). While learning about insects, other experts should be consulted with insect questions. My passion is wildlife damage identification, for if you don't know what animal is causing the problem, you can't begin to resolve it responsibly. My latest book is the Wildlife Damage Inspection Handbook 3rd edition (2012). It is available at my site or by visiting my various vendors. (A simple internet search on the book's title will bring you to them).

I was a full time animal damage controller for over 5 years and a part-time animal damage controller for over 10. I have been a volunteer for for over 5 years under the Pest Control Category, when they graciously created a new category that better suited my experience (I don't answer bug questions). I was a licensed animal controller in both Massachusetts, Connecticut and Nebraska. I presently run the Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and

National Wildlife Control Operators Association, Community Integrated Pest Management group at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

I have published multiple books, including The Wildlife Removal Handbook rev. ed. and the Wildlife Damage Inspection Handbook 3rd ed. Additionally, I have written dozens of articles which have appeared in Wildlife Control Technology Magazine, Fur-Fish & Game, The Trapper, The Fur Taker, The Probe, and others. I have co-authored wildlife related publications for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension program and was responsible for revising the handbook designed for the Pest Controllers looking to obtain their category 14 license.

I was a trapper education instructor for the state of Massachusetts, and have attended a variety of conferences and trainings, including but not limited to Vertebrate Pest Conference, Wildlife Damage Management Conference, National Wildlife Control Association national conference, Wildlife Control Technology Conference. I have not only attended these meetings but have also been privileged to have been a speaker. I have received the National Wildlife Control Operators Association Educator of the Year Award in 2008 and 2012.

Certified Wildlife Control Operator (2001), Academy Certified Professional (2008), Master NWCOA Instructor (2012)

I have helped thousands of people around the U. S. through my work at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Wildlife Control Consultant. Specific tasks include: Ghost writing, Research, Expert Witness, Writing Training Manuals, Public speaking at Conferences, Workshops, and Trainings