Wildlife Damage Control/Is it mouse poop?

Hi! I live in NC, about 50 miles North of Charlotte, just outside the foothills.  I currently have minor issues with mice.  I will see their rice-sized pellets in corners around the house on occasion.  However, today I came across a strange one -- and I unfortunately didn't think about taking a picture of it until AFTER I cleaned it up.  I'll do my best to give a full description��� was the same rice size/shape only it was about three of them strung together. Normally, they are separate and usually singular.  They were dark brown in color and the typical consistency for relatively fresh mouse poop.  However it was sitting on a whitish substance that was still a little watery.  I have raised a number of reptiles, and always attribute white in poop to them, but the white stuff wasn't a segment on the end of the droppings like my lizards or gecko's.  The white substance was all around and under the pellets.  Could this have been a mouse who's in need of a vet visit? (ack)  If the pellets were significantly larger and not segmented, the layout (for lack of a proper term) reminds me of my snake - Watery/powdery white substance with separate brown feces.  I don't know if that was enough to help you help me identify the critter - but I appreciate any assistance I can get.  This was almost right in the high traffic area of the room, not usual for the mouse droppings I normally see.  If I come across it again, I'll be sure to grab my camera.  Thanks again!

As our web page on ICWDM.org explains and suspected by yourself, the feces has to come from reptile or bird if it has white.
You may want to read our advice on controlling mice

Stephen M. Vantassel, CWCP, MNI, ACP
Project Manager-Wildlife Damage Management
University of Nebraska-Lincoln
School of Natural Resources
414 Hardin Hall
3310 Holdrege St.
Lincoln, NE 68583-0974
402-472-8961 central

Wildlife Damage Control

Stephen M. Vantassel

I can assist the public in responding to all kinds of wildlife related problems in the United States and Canada, including birds, mice, rats, skunks, raccoons, beavers, opossums, voles, moles, chipmunks, woodchucks, pocket gophers, and more. Please note that I specialize in vertebrates only, (animals with a backbone). While learning about insects, other experts should be consulted with insect questions. My passion is wildlife damage identification, for if you don't know what animal is causing the problem, you can't begin to resolve it responsibly. My latest book is the Wildlife Damage Inspection Handbook 3rd edition (2012). It is available at my site http://wildlifecontrolconsultant.com or by visiting my various vendors. (A simple internet search on the book's title will bring you to them).

I was a full time animal damage controller for over 5 years and a part-time animal damage controller for over 10. I have been a volunteer for AllExperts.com for over 5 years under the Pest Control Category, when they graciously created a new category that better suited my experience (I don't answer bug questions). I was a licensed animal controller in both Massachusetts, Connecticut and Nebraska. I presently run the Internet Center for Wildlife Damage Management for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, http://icwdm.org and http://wildlifecontrolconsultant.com.

National Wildlife Control Operators Association, Community Integrated Pest Management group at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

I have published multiple books, including The Wildlife Removal Handbook rev. ed. and the Wildlife Damage Inspection Handbook 3rd ed. Additionally, I have written dozens of articles which have appeared in Wildlife Control Technology Magazine, Fur-Fish & Game, The Trapper, The Fur Taker, The Probe, and others. I have co-authored wildlife related publications for the University of Nebraska-Lincoln Extension program and was responsible for revising the handbook designed for the Pest Controllers looking to obtain their category 14 license.

I was a trapper education instructor for the state of Massachusetts, and have attended a variety of conferences and trainings, including but not limited to Vertebrate Pest Conference, Wildlife Damage Management Conference, National Wildlife Control Association national conference, Wildlife Control Technology Conference. I have not only attended these meetings but have also been privileged to have been a speaker. I have received the National Wildlife Control Operators Association Educator of the Year Award in 2008 and 2012.

Certified Wildlife Control Operator (2001), Academy Certified Professional (2008), Master NWCOA Instructor (2012)

I have helped thousands of people around the U. S. through my work at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Wildlife Control Consultant. Specific tasks include: Ghost writing, Research, Expert Witness, Writing Training Manuals, Public speaking at Conferences, Workshops, and Trainings