Wildlife Damage Control/Animal died under deck

Question
An animal crawled under our deck (which has a screen porch over it)
and died.  I fear it was something large like a raccoon or rabbit since the stench is awful.  The smell has driven us from our back yard.  We have hordes of flies too.  We can't reach the animal since the deck sits approximately six inches from the ground.
We prefer not to rip up the floorboards of the deck, but that may be our only option.  We have tried fans and moth balls, etc.  But, nothing masks the smell of decomposition.  Do you have any ideas for us?
Thank You.

Answer
Mothballs are useless and are a suspected carcinogen, so I wouldn't use any more of those.

I guess my question is why the animal died there. Did you secure a hole you shouldn't have? Is there a window well that it became trapped in? While knowing that doesn't help now, it will prevent future problems.

As for the odor, you can read my publication on removing skunk odor. It will have tips on handling odors. http://www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/pages/publicationD.jsp?publicationId=1427 Otherwise, you are stuck with using a long pole with a hook and trying to snag the carcass.
Be sure to wear all appropriate safety equipment as you don't want to come in contact with the spooge.

Otherwise, in a few more days as the carcass breaks down, the odor will lower.  

Wildlife Damage Control

Stephen M. Vantassel