Window Treatments/Questions Answered by Expert Catherine Eveler

SubjectDate Asked
shrinking fabric vertical blinds1/13/2009
  Q: I was wondering if you got any feedback from any fabric vertical manufacturers yet. Just a quick ...
  A: I have not received any feedback. However, the only vertical blind manufacturer I deal with does ...
hanging long window shades1/8/2009
  Q: I have a 3 meter, 70cm diameter aluminum pole with a motor installed for lifting and lowering the ...
  A: You don't say what type of shade you are using. Even with a tightly woven fabric you can get ...
drapes/window treatments/wall colors1/7/2009
  Q: I have a 1910 2 1/2 story farm home with all the wood columns inside etc. Purchased 3 yrs ago. The ...
  A: Deb, Are you looking for an answer for right now or for the future? For now, I think a rich gold ...
window treatment style and color1/7/2009
  Q: My family room is painted Behr Warm Muffin (gold color) on two long walls and Behr Sly Fox on the ...
  A: Either valances or panels would work in this situation. First of all lets talk fabric. I would ...
curtain rods1/7/2009
  Q: In my den, I have 2 single windows on either side of the front door and on the back wall, I have ...
  A: You could treat your triple window either way. If you go with the short rods, have them float into ...
hanging rods1/2/2009
  Q: I have three windows in my eating area which have 1 inch blinds. I need to cut the heat so I want ...
  A: When using draperies, the side of the trim should always be covered (and this is what will block ...
drapery color12/28/2008
  Q: I need help on the color of my living room drapes and valance. My living room walls are TeePee brown ...
  A: Well, if you are looking for ready made curtains it is more difficult to select something. There are ...
color for windows12/27/2008
  Q: My living room is a buttery yellow and mocha brown it is paint half/half. What color curtains would ...
  A: Look at your furniture, accessories, or artwork & pull a color from the other items you already ...
Curtains with crown molding12/15/2008
  Q: I have significant crown molding around every window in my house. I want to put something purely ...
  A: There are a couple of ways to do this, the most common being to build a 3-sided box (top front & ...
Very Large Window, need help12/9/2008
  Q: I have 1 large window in my 2 floor loft, 60in wide by 175 in wide. I was recommended 2x86in ...
  A: I thought I answered this question already, but apparently not. There are fewer options for single ...
curtains11/29/2008
  Q: What color of curtains would match a green wall and chocolate brown cover on a day-bed? The green ...
  A: Is everything solid in your room? I would add pattern with green (possibly several different ...
What color drapes11/25/2008
  Q: I need advise on drape color for my master bedroom , here are a few details wall paint color - light ...
  A: I looked up the Putney paisley--good pic on Amazon.com showing it paired with navy sheets & pillows. ...
window treatment for arched windows11/24/2008
  Q: I have two arched windows on either side of my fireplace. I have sheer horizontal blinds on each ...
  A: I'm answering this question on the assumption that the blinds are not arched. In other words, the ...
Patio Door Blinds11/17/2008
  Q: We are upgrading our kitchen and dining areas and need to replace some old vertical blinds on a ...
  A: There are new types of vertical treatments on the market which are both beautiful & more up to date ...
bow window11/17/2008
  Q: i had a bow window installed with a bench seat in my living room. center window measures 38" wide . ...
  A: Roman Shades would have been my first inclination in this window also, and they would look great. ...
Window Treatments Help!11/3/2008
  Q: My house has really awkward window sizes. FR - One window is 96" width with two side windows ...
  A: If a panel is 42" wide, it is meant to gather to 21" so that it does not look skimpy on the window. ...
Box-pleat valance11/2/2008
  Q: I am wanting to have box-pleat valances made for my family room. All the patterns I have seen show ...
  A: These JC Penney valances are designed to fit on a pocket rod. They made the boxes first then ...
window treatment10/31/2008
  Q: I have four windows on one wall. There is spacing between each window where I have hung a small ...
  A: I'm imagining drapery panels to soften the windows. With only a small space between windows 1&2, ...
No place for center support10/28/2008
  Q: I have windows that are 101" wide. They have a set of 3 "transom" windows over the main bank of ...
  A: In order to give you the best solution I need a little more information... A picture would be ...
Curtain question10/28/2008
  Q: I have a spare room in my house where I wanted to put curtains up. I currently have horizontal wood ...
  A: Well, I'm just reading this question--so didn't realize you had already sent all this info to ...
curtains with windows that have crown molding10/27/2008
  Q: My windows in the great room have crown molding at the top of each window. I have vaulted ceilings. ...
  A: I have several ideas here; which idea is most applicable depends on the configuration of the ...
glass doors10/26/2008
  Q: We have recently bought a house that has a add on bedroom. It is 19 1/2 by 10. We have a ...
  A: Are any of the doors being used? Are they on the 10 ft wall? If so, the classiest way to address ...
Numerous shaped windows in 1 room10/24/2008
  Q: All in 1 room I have 3 22" windows on a cathedral wall with 25" from trim to trim between each. ...
  A: I would advise against draperies on the small windows above. However, the best way to dress the ...
window treatment10/22/2008
  Q: I want to make valances for my grandson's nursery. The colors are brown, sage green and medium blue. ...
  A: This sounds really fun! There are two ways to incorporate other colors into your valances--fabric ...
color and accessories10/22/2008
  Q: My living room is painted a very pale peach (Feather White 260A-1 by Behr). My curtains are ...
  A: Your living room sounds glamorous -- am I right? It also sounds somewhat contemporary-with a french ...
stretch curtain rods10/19/2008
  Q: i have recently moved here from Australia and am looking to hang some sheers from a spare room, i do ...
  A: I have not heard of anything like what you are describing--but there are spring-loaded tension rods ...
measure material for valances10/18/2008
  Q: The material I want is sold 2yards by 56" I want to make 4 valances wich will hang 15" each and the ...
  A: If you are making simple valances with pleats in the middle & ends you will have just enough--though ...
Draperies10/7/2008
  Q: I would like to hang drapes in my master bedroom with a matching upholstered box cornice. Since the ...
  A: A custom design would require only 4 panels, of differing widths and would be fully functional. ...
Ready made drapes - WRINKLED!10/6/2008
  Q: We just bought ready made thermal drapes, 100 x 95" long and hung them up. They're nice except for ...
  A: There is nothing in the content that would prohibit you from steaming. However, you do have to be ...
disguise vertical blinds10/6/2008
  Q: I have contemporary family room with light steel blue walls, dark brown furniture and grayish ...
  A: Are you handy? One of the least expensive solutions for a contemporary look is a simple upholstered ...
window treatment for bay windows with doors10/6/2008
  Q: I have a bay window and the left window is a 15light door. Any suggestions for a window treatment ...
  A: Bay windows can be difficult to work with, & with one of the windows being a door, even more so. ...
window treatments10/4/2008
  Q: I have a big living room, high ceilings, the room is 16' x 24' painted a gorgeous burgundy and on ...
  A: There are a couple of ways you can treat these windows. I agree that with ceramic floors it would ...
Door Panel/Window Treatments10/1/2008
  Q: I have warm red walls in my living area, toffee colored furniture and light wood floors. My question ...
  A: Am I correct in assuming that most of the furnishings & surfaces are solid colors? Not having a ...
HELP...in love and decorating9/29/2008
  Q: Morning....so let me just start by saying I recently moved into my Boyfriends house which was built ...
  A: It does sound like this room needs some color. Since the style is modern & the colors are ...
drapes9/28/2008
  Q: my walls are a terra cotta orange, beige carpet. The furniture I plan on buying is mocha color and ...
  A: Once you have your furniture selected, I would then select a slightly deeper mocha shade for the ...
Large windows but no space for hanging curtain rod9/22/2008
  Q: I recently moved to a new apt which had large windows covering the majority of one wall in every ...
  A: As a follow-up-- I was thinking primarily of curtains when I wrote last. However, it occurred ...
Curtains/drapes9/15/2008
  Q: My livingroom walls are painted a light peach color (feather white-Behr paint). What color ...
  A: The curtains you select will help to determine the feel of the room. The choices in ready-made ...
What type of curtaines would go with traditional looking house?9/8/2008
  Q: we just bought a brand new home. it has an open kitchen - Kitchen and breakfast area followed by ...
  A: Your best investment in this scenario is to select wood blinds, or alternative wood blinds (the ...
bow window9/8/2008
  Q: We are redoing our bow window. Currently have 5 individual blinds and want to go with a rod all the ...
  A: Yes, this is relatively easy to do. Kirsch makes several products which work in bow windows. One ...
Drapery9/4/2008
  Q: I am looking for draperies for both my formal living and dining rooms. First of all we are not ...
  A: Here are several options... 1) To really emphasize the windows--& height, you could use solid ...
DRILL HOLES8/30/2008
  Q: Help,I tried to drill holes for my curtains and the hole got too big.Also the hole is only a half ...
  A: You are correct. The screws which came with your rod are for screwing into a stud behind the ...
Fabric vertical blinds with backer - new installation - shrinking problem8/25/2008
  Q: I recently had two very large front windows as well as an atrium door fitted with new fabric ...
  A: Some companies back up their product more than others. If you didn't do anything to them to cause ...
Window Treatment8/22/2008
  Q: I hope you can help me as this has been a five year project for me, I can't make a decision!!! In my ...
  A: I think you are close to solving the problem of the too-large window. Why the three-tone panels ...
window treatment colors8/14/2008
  Q: I have black furniture in my living room and dining room..I also have very pale "salmon" colored ...
  A: I think the best combination of colors would be to add cream or ivory curtains to living and dining ...
Short Window - Window Treatment(s)?8/10/2008
  Q: What is the correct length of curtain side panels for a short window? Found a example on your site ...
  A: If you are going to keep the curtain closed most of the time, giving the illusion of taller windows, ...
window is half circle and half square8/9/2008
  Q: I have a window in my dining room that is half circle half square. I need to find something to ...
  A: There are several ways to cover the window. If you need to cover both the arch and the square ...
shutters/curtains?8/9/2008
  Q: I have a 120 year old house in Toronto with a beautiful arched stainglass window above a fixed 60" ...
  A: I'm having a little trouble visualizing this window. Is the depth of the window only 1"? Is the ...
Problem adding window treatments to Marvin windows8/2/2008
  Q: ..I came across this website while searching for help in adding window treatments to Marvin wndows. ...
  A: There are several styles of shades which would work. It depends on the type of bracket system. You ...
Contemporary house7/21/2008
  Q: what kind of courtains would be trendy for a contemporary house (style, color)? I'm a very artistic ...
  A: There are several directions you could take... You don't mention wall color, but if it's neutral you ...
living/dining area7/20/2008
  Q: I have two small windows on one wall in living room. Dining room is connected with living room. ...
  A: I would select a lighter green, since your walls are cream. Maroon would end up looking heavy. ...
All windows have radiators below7/12/2008
  Q: All windows in this home have the old fashioned radiators for heat below them. The distance between ...
  A: You are correct in thinking about air flow. In general, an inner curtain will work best if you have ...
window treatments and wall color7/7/2008
  Q: I was thinking about painting my front room a warm red. I have a beige carpet. I wanted the red to ...
  A: Although red is a lovely color, it can make a room feel closed-in when used on all 4 walls. The way ...
large living room window6/25/2008
  Q: I have an 107" X 71", 9 panel, east facing window. I have had earth-tone wheat-patterned traverse ...
  A: In most cases I recommend using more than one blind, unless you have an awkward bow/bay window or ...
what type of window treatment6/16/2008
  Q: I have a family room located in north part of the house. One window facing north and three windows ...
  A: The best solution to block out drapes (and too much light) is the standard drapery--and they are ...
Great room window treatments6/10/2008
  Q: I have a huge 2-story great room in a new house and am having touble finding an appropriate design ...
  A: I am currently at a window treatment seminar so not at my computer. When I get back Monday I will ...
window treatments6/7/2008
  Q: I have two double hung windows in my large formal dining room in a vintage apartment. One of the ...
  A: Not knowing your particular style, I'm going to suggest transluscent blinds...have you ever looked ...
slatted blinds5/31/2008
  Q: The cord to open and close the blinds became tangled at the wheel housing. In clearing the tangle I ...
  A: Could you give me some clarification? What type of blinds do you have? Are they mini-blinds, wood ...
window treatments and allergies5/27/2008
  Q: I am a Geriatric Care Manager and one of my clients has allergies. She is 98 years old and ...
  A: There are two types of light managing treatments, those which reflect light & those which filter it. ...
window treatment5/15/2008
  Q: After I closed your email it "disappeared". Could you email me a copy of your answer for the ...
  A: I apologize for taking so long to reply (lots of deadlines). I cannot find a copy of my previous ...
window treatment5/7/2008
  Q: I would like a suggestion for window treatment in my living room and dining room. Due to allergies ...
  A: It's taken me awhile to mull over this question. One solution that came to mind right away was the ...
vertical blinds.5/1/2008
  Q: We recently moved in a house with exisiting fabric vertical blinds on a large bow window and sliding ...
  A: Graber carries a variety of vertical blinds in all lengths. However since you are replacing them, ...
window treatment4/23/2008
  Q: I have new Marvin windows. becaue they are so pretty i'd like to not cover them with blinds or ...
  A: I needed to think about this awhile in order to give you a complete answer. The obvious question ...
window treatments4/14/2008
  Q: I have a very large family room window that measures 118 1/2 inches wide by 70 1/2 inches tall that ...
  A: I've used blinds on this style of window several times in the past 3 months! There are two ways you ...
pleating3/23/2008
  Q: We are trying to take straight rod curtains and making them into traverse rod curtains. I bought ...
  A: If you would like the drapery to travel, as I imagine since you plan to use a traverse rod, you will ...

All Questions in This Category

Window Treatments

Catherine Eveler

Top Expert on this page