Windows 7/Trying convert back up image into workable VHD

Question

I'm trying to create a VHD out of a drive image of an old Sony Vaio desktop. I wish to run XP Home from that desktop through Windows 7's Virtual PC.

My initial attempt was to image the desktop's HDD using Macrium Reflect Free v5. I then used that software's "Convert Image to VHD" function to make a VHD file. However, when I try to run Virtual PC using that file. I just get a completely black screen (inside the Virtual PC window) that hangs.

Could I make it work by adjusting some settings? Or am I better off trying some other free software for the conversion?

Thanks.

Peter

Answer
Hi Peter!

I'm not familiar enough with Macrium to tell you why it doesn't work or how you might be able to make it work.  You might consider trying Microsoft's disk2vhd utility, designed for Virtual PC and Hyper-V:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

Also, Virtual PC has a limit of 127GB, so make sure the drive you are capturing is smaller than that.

Good luck!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech