Windows 7/Trying convert back up image into workable VHD

I'm trying to create a VHD out of a drive image of an old Sony Vaio desktop. I wish to run XP Home from that desktop through Windows 7's Virtual PC.

My initial attempt was to image the desktop's HDD using Macrium Reflect Free v5. I then used that software's "Convert Image to VHD" function to make a VHD file. However, when I try to run Virtual PC using that file. I just get a completely black screen (inside the Virtual PC window) that hangs.

Could I make it work by adjusting some settings? Or am I better off trying some other free software for the conversion?

Hi Peter!

I'm not familiar enough with Macrium to tell you why it doesn't work or how you might be able to make it work.  You might consider trying Microsoft's disk2vhd utility, designed for Virtual PC and Hyper-V:

Also, Virtual PC has a limit of 127GB, so make sure the drive you are capturing is smaller than that.

Good luck!

Windows 7

PowerEdge Tech

I can answer nearly all questions about Windows 7 - installation, upgrade, virtualization (XP Mode and beyond), configuration, how to get the most out of it, how to buy it, etc. I won't pretend to know it all - nobody can - if I don't know, I will try and find the answer. If I can't find it, I'll tell you.

I worked as an analyst in Dell server support for 2 years, and have since worked with many Dell PowerEdge servers. I am currently employed as IT Manager. I have been using Windows 7 since the early Beta days.

I have a BS in Computer Science and have earned the following certifications: CompTIA Security+, A+, Project+; CIW Web Design, Database Specialist; Microsoft Windows 7; Dell DCSE Server. I am also an expert in Windows 7, Servers, and Hard Drives (I don't normally do XP - not because I don't know it inside and out, but because I have "retired" personal support for XP, and I want to see it die :)).