Windows 7/cascading windows

I have Windows 7. When using Windows Explorer, as I move up or down in the folder hierarchy, is there a way to have it stop opening a new window for every level of folder I pass through, i.e., stop cascading the windows. I could not find a setting to do that.

Hello Paul

What you are going to want to do is open the explorer window and then click on ORGANIZE. Then click on FOLDER AND SEARCH OPTIONS.
The first thing you will see is "browse folders" option and here you will want to click on OPEN EACH FOLDER IN THE SAME WINDOW.  click OK and that should do it.

I hope this helps,

Mike Dacre
follow me on twitter @tpsconsulting

Windows 7

Mike Dacre

As I have been volunteering in the 'windows' category since the inception of AllExperts, which has now moved to numerous windows categories. I will therefore be happy to answer any Windows 7,8 and 10 based question. What can't I answer? Not much, as this is the main reason I volunteered here, because I am hopeful the questions I can not answer will allow me to investigate the problem so that I can answer it. The TIPS and SOFTWARE support through my website at can also be of some help.

I have owned my own computer consulting business for the past 17 years and since the very beginning I have volunteered with AllExperts in the hopes I would be able to learn from others mistakes and problems. The goal for me is to be able to research any problem I don't initially have the answer to, in the hopes I will be able to further benefit for my own clients when they come across a similar problem.

More information can be found at my website

I grew up with computers, from the first Apple IIC, back when Bill Gates was a student himself! For the past 17 years I have been providing technical services from building computers to constructing complete control rooms. Working with CTV I have helped produce the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Later, designing and construction of "instant replay control rooms' for the Big Screens found in Stadiums and Coliseums.