Windows 7/Error code 0x80040609

When I go to open Live Mail in Windows 7 it tells me that I need to run an update to my Windows Live Essential. When I try to run the update I get an error message 0x80040609. Someone told me I may have to uninstall and then reinstall Windows Essential. Live Mail is part of Windows Essential so I assume that when I reinstall Windows Essential Live Mail will also install. Will I then have to reset all of my account information?  What about all of my inbox emails, folders, and contacts?  Will I lose them or can I reinstall them?  Is there any other way to fix this besides doing the uninstall/install procedure?  Thanks

Hi Doug,

It depends on how your account is configured - if your emails are stored on the server (IMAP) then you can safely uninstall Windows Live Mail/Essentials. Even if they are stored locally, there is little chance that they will be deleted.

It would be wise, however, to take the opportunity to make a backup of your machine, should they be accidentally deleted.

Kind regards,

Windows 7

James Milligan

Several years of IT support experience with a range of customers and clients. I aim to answer as many questions as I can, particularly ones where I have a chance to learn about a feature or new technology myself.

Personally, Windows 7 is my main operating system, so I know my way around it like the back of my hand. I have provided support for Windows 7 since it was released,

The Guild of Television Cameramen

UCLan Computing Research Journal

Studying for a Bachelors Degree in Computer Network Technology Grade A in A Level Computing

Best First Year Research Paper

Hundreds of residential clients