Windows 7/Getting error code 0x80040609

When I go to open Live Mail in Windows 7 it tells me that I need to run an update to my Windows Live Essential. When I try to run the update I get an error message 0x80040609. Someone told me I may have to uninstall and then reinstall Windows Essential. Live Mail is part of Windows Essential so I assume that when I reinstall Windows Essential Live Mail will also install. Will I then have to reset all of my account information?  What about all of my inbox emails, folders, and contacts?  Will I lose them or can I reinstall them?  Is there any other way to fix this besides doing the uninstall/install procedure?  Thanks

Thank you for your question!

There is a couple steps I would like you to perform.

The first I would like you to try is a program called CCleaner.  This can be found HERE.  After installing and opening the program, select "Registry", then click "Scan for issues".  When it is complete, select "Fix selected issues".  Backup is optional, and usually unnecessary.  Then click "Fix all".  When that process completes, see if you can run the update error-free.

If that doesn't work, open up Windows Update.  To do so, click the Start button, and type "Windows Update" in the search field.  Make sure your computer is not pending any updates.  If it is, install them.

If that still doesn't fix your problem, you will have to try a reinstall.  I will post a link below that gives detailed instructions on how to back-up your emails.
Click HERE.  When the page has loaded, select "To export email messages from Windows Live Mail"

I hope this fixes your problem.  If not, feel free to message me back.

Best of luck!

Windows 7

I have familiarized myself with the windows environment since Windows 95. Windows 7 is one of the best operating systems i am familiar with, and am willing to help anybody with problems they may have. Be it hardware, software, or simply the Windows environment itself.

I have repaired computers most of my life. I am the site administrator of many websites for businesses including (but not limited to): (my site),, and more. I do local computer repair in my area and have a very satisfied clientele.

I am a Network Engineer at Southern Illinois Network Consultants and an EOD Technician for the U.S. Army.

I am currently a student at Southern Illinois University Carbondale. I am majoring in Criminal Justice with a second major in Computer Science.

Corporation Ambassador for Courtesy Corporation.

Valley Ranch and Cabins - Wisconsin