Windows 7/Networking problem with Win 7

Hello Kevin

My network has been working fine up until yesterday. However, yesterday, on only my Toshiba laptops with Windows 7,  I could not connect to the other computers. When I tried to diagnose the problem, I received the below error message.
"local area connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.
My other computers are still working through the network fine. For a start only one of my Toshiba computers had the problem and the other one's network was working. Then a few hours afterwards the other one has the same problem.

I did a web search on the above error message and saw several suggestions to fix the problem? However, people suggested to try so many different things. I did not know which one to try. Do you have any suggestions based on my situation above? I thought it may not be the router as only the Toshiba computers have the problem. We had a thunderstorm which interupted the power. However, this may not have caused the problem because one of My Toshiba computers' network was working after the thunderstorm and only had a problem a couple of hours later.

Regards Richard.

Hi Richard,
I apologize for not responding sooner.

An invalid IP address can occur for any number of reasons.  The most likely is an IP conflict, that is when two devices have the same IP address.  Another reason is that the database of IP address is corrupt.

The best way to fix this issue is reboot the router.  Unplug the router and leave unplugged for about a minute.  Then plug it back in.  Give it about 30 - 45 seconds to boot up then reboot all of your computers.  This should resolve you issue.

If you still have issues after rebooting please feel free to ask a follow up question.

Windows 7

I can answer questions on a wide variety of issues including pertaining to installation, configuration, trouble shooting and, malware removal.

I have eighteen years experience working with Windows based PCs

I have an associated degree in computer programming and network engineering.